• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
XyFreak

Draconic Control - Get everything out of your draconic reactor

@XyFreak

I tried out the berreder config but it seems to be wrong (ignore the autostart value):

0oHds2Y.png

I tested it before with you simulator: 

K0cvgOf.png

But this is, what the reactor in 1.7.10 is doing with it so I assume that there is smth. wrong. Because I started the reactor already 12 1/2 hours ago - Test with 1.12.2 will follow on the weekend :)

tj2ysHr.png

Are you running with other mods? Some of the mod pack creators modify how power generation works - in which case the behavior will be different from the simulator. Your results look similar to what I’ve gotten with some mod packs that did this.

It looks like not enough power is being extracted from the reactor. DC is "immune" to config file changes as it has code in place to figure out those multipliers through backwards calculation (and sometimes they just don't matter). Is wherever you're piping the energy to able to accept that much / store that much? (I'm guessing yes but still asking ;) )

5 hours ago, XyFreak said:

It looks like not enough power is being extracted from the reactor. DC is "immune" to config file changes as it has code in place to figure out those multipliers through backwards calculation (and sometimes they just don't matter). Is wherever you're piping the energy to able to accept that much / store that much? (I'm guessing yes but still asking ;) )

I use Cryo-Ducts (unlimited transfer) and Tesseracts (see picture). On the end another Tesseract is directly connected to the Energy Pylon to get/receive the energy (one Tesseract for sending energy into the storage ball and one to drain from it and only for the reactor)

V2eQvqK.jpg

B3eagvG.jpg

Master Question here: How can I get a breeder in 1.7.10 if smth. is going wrong?

So the 1.7 version is built around extracting energy from the reactor and reinjecting it through a seperate circuit. As a result, the flux gate extracting energy that goes to storage is only extracting CALCULATED_OUTPUT - REINJECT

So there's your problem. Your setup looks more like the 1.10 setup, in which case you should propably use the 1.10 program. (I knew i changed something important going from 1.7 to 1.10)

10 hours ago, XyFreak said:

So the 1.7 version is built around extracting energy from the reactor and reinjecting it through a seperate circuit. As a result, the flux gate extracting energy that goes to storage is only extracting CALCULATED_OUTPUT - REINJECT

So there's your problem. Your setup looks more like the 1.10 setup, in which case you should propably use the 1.10 program. (I knew i changed something important going from 1.7 to 1.10)

Hmmm, since I am the server owner and my mate has no probles with it, I can test the current version of your script in 1.7.10 and will see, if I can create a void in the void or if the reactor will still be there :D
Give me one or two days and I'll share my experiences and what I have used in the config ;)

Uhm, wasn't there a change for the reactor so that newer version of your script are incompatible with 1.7.10?

And how can I update my current version? Installed is the 1.7.10 version. Any update script available or is it safe to re-run the dc_installer again?

@TheGamingOtaku it is a bug in openos that is fixed in our dev builds ( https://ci.cil.li/  ), will be in our next release (1.7.5) on curseforge, and you can you patch it manually per machine if you can't/don't want to update your mod version to our dev builds. Review this comment I left discussing this:

1 minute ago, payonel said:

@TheGamingOtaku it is a bug in openos that is fixed in our dev builds ( https://ci.cil.li/  ), will be in our next release (1.7.5) on curseforge, and you can you patch it manually per machine if you can't/don't want to update your mod version to our dev builds. Review this comment I left discussing this:

Thanks! That fixed it.

Hi, this looks like a really great programme! I'm completely new to opencomputers (or any form of computer programming for that matter), and wanted to set up a reactor on a server I play on. Unfortunately it uses OpenOs 1.7.4, which is stated doesn't work properly. Is there a way to install a different version of OpenOs without the disk so that I'd be able to use this programme? 

Thanks you for any help you can give! 

I'm using OC 1.7.5.192 and DE 1.12.2-2.3.25.351 on minecraft 1.12.2.

When I run 'draconic_control start' it outputs 'Draconic control service started.' but when I run 'dc_gui' it outputs 'Draconic Control has not been configured yet. Please make sure everything is set up correctly and start this program again.' I followed all the instructions in the link. Is there a different version that works in 1.12.2 or do you have to do additional config in 1.12.2?

@XyFreak

This is the /etc/draconic_control.cfg file, along with the addresses of each adapter. I don't see a typo here, maybe I missed something? 

This is the current setup I have for the Reactor, I tried it out manually and it worked, so that shouldn't be an issue. 

Posted (edited)

So I've set this up and I'm not sure if I'm just panicking here but it doesn't seem to be controlling the shield. It just keeps dropping.

Let me know what you need to see if i've done something wrong. I basically copied the setup on your guide.

Edit: Okay I realise what's happening now I've had time to stop panicking haha. What's the benefit of keeping the shield at ~10%? Can it be maintained at say 50%? I know it will use more power that way and I assume the config I copied (from page 6 or 7 I think) is designed for max RF/t without as much maintenance cost?

Edited by KangyKSLG

Hey @KangyKSLG,

the config has a drainback setting that will determine how much of the field-drain-rate is fed back to the reactor. This has to be >1 for the shield to not collapse and is not linear (so 1.25 does NOT mean you'll end up with a 25% shield). The default of 1.25 yields a containment of roughly 20%.

I'm sorry for saying this but 50% is a HUGE waste of energy as all you really need is something >0% (e.g. 0.1%) for the reactor to not blow ( and while you CAN make DC do that I do NOT recommend it :D ). But yeah you can play around with that setting. The tuned config uses a value of 1.1 which yields a containment of about 9% iirc and I would not go below that if you want to be able to safely shut your reactor down at high chaos rates (and you want a lot of chaos in your reactor cause more chaos = more energy).
For 50% you'll need to set drainback to 2.
For 75% you'll need to set drainback to 4.
For 87.5% you'll need to set drainback to 8.

You get the idea - it's exponential. And as the drainback setting directly corresponds to how much energy is fed into the containment field, this means that you'll be using ~82% more energy on it going from 10% to 50%.

If you are using the setting with the burnRFt setting then you are using the setting that maximizes the RF/t you get out of your fuel. I've not been able to get the reactor to output considerably more RF/t without going into regions where the reactor might fail eventually in simulations (not saying it's not possible - I've just not found the right configuration). The setting without burnRFt actually yields a suprisingly high efficiency while also generating a lot of RF/t. If you feel really uncomfortable with your reactor running REALLY hot and your containment being so low you might go with the latter config. Also a little hint: When refueling the reactor, pull out just the big chaos chunks and leave the medium and small ones in - more chaos in the begining equals to less time with low RF/t (as more chaos = more energy).

EDIT:

The settings have been tuned for high RF/t which also translates into low runtimes while not wasting an excess amount of fuel.

If you need a lot of chaos fast you can make a "safe" breeder with DC that is mostly self powered and sputs out 8 large chaos chunks within 23hrs IIRC. And if you hook them up to an external power source 4hrs for 8 large chaos chunks are possible while being semi-safe*.

*) Insane amounts of powergen required to keep the containment field up. The author of the software is not responsible for loss of base, world or sanity.

34 minutes ago, XyFreak said:

Hey @KangyKSLG,

the config has a drainback setting that will determine how much of the field-drain-rate is fed back to the reactor. This has to be >1 for the shield to not collapse and is not linear (so 1.25 does NOT mean you'll end up with a 25% shield). The default of 1.25 yields a containment of roughly 20%.

I'm sorry for saying this but 50% is a HUGE waste of energy as all you really need is something >0% (e.g. 0.1%) for the reactor to not blow ( and while you CAN make DC do that I do NOT recommend it :D ). But yeah you can play around with that setting. The tuned config uses a value of 1.1 which yields a containment of about 9% iirc and I would not go below that if you want to be able to safely shut your reactor down at high chaos rates (and you want a lot of chaos in your reactor cause more chaos = more energy).
For 50% you'll need to set drainback to 2.
For 75% you'll need to set drainback to 4.
For 87.5% you'll need to set drainback to 8.

You get the idea - it's exponential. And as the drainback setting directly corresponds to how much energy is fed into the containment field, this means that you'll be using ~82% more energy on it going from 10% to 50%.

If you are using the setting with the burnRFt setting then you are using the setting that maximizes the RF/t you get out of your fuel. I've not been able to get the reactor to output considerably more RF/t without going into regions where the reactor might fail eventually in simulations (not saying it's not possible - I've just not found the right configuration). The setting without burnRFt actually yields a suprisingly high efficiency while also generating a lot of RF/t. If you feel really uncomfortable with your reactor running REALLY hot and your containment being so low you might go with the latter config. Also a little hint: When refueling the reactor, pull out just the big chaos chunks and leave the medium and small ones in - more chaos in the begining equals to less time with low RF/t (as more chaos = more energy).

EDIT:

The settings have been tuned for high RF/t which also translates into low runtimes while not wasting an excess amount of fuel.

If you need a lot of chaos fast you can make a "safe" breeder with DC that is mostly self powered and sputs out 8 large chaos chunks within 23hrs IIRC. And if you hook them up to an external power source 4hrs for 8 large chaos chunks are possible while being semi-safe*.

*) Insane amounts of powergen required to keep the containment field up. The author of the software is not responsible for loss of base, world or sanity.

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed response. I have no issues running the shield low, I only panicked as this was my first reactor haha.

My shield sits at a constant 9.21ish% which I'm happy with. However, the config I copied was trying to push the reactor to 10,000c which as far as I've read is unsafe but I'm not really experienced with this reactor.

I dialed it back to around 8132c for now but if the reactor can indeed run at 10,000c with no issues I can reconfig it again. Your program was flagging up warnings and then danger haha.

Sorry, I'm rambling a bit. I'm basically trying to get the most RF out of it I can while maintaining safe levels. 

As a side not, if you're still maintaining this can I make a feature request if it's not too much trouble? Can you add values to the side bars on the computer screen? I know what they correspond to but it would be nice to have them labelled and show the values rather than just a bar. No worries if not but I had to ask :)

Hey @XyFreak,

what was the highest output from this reactor you have reached?

My main problem is that my setups eating up RF like sweet chickens taste (hughe production lines) and this ends up in needing millions of RF.

Any way to get arround +250 million RF out of this reactor? I think that such values should be possible regarding to how dangerous it is.

Cheers,

Chaoschaot234

Hey,

if you're not cool with the high initial temperatures then you can set the burnRFt to 0 - it's a setting that runs the reactor extremely hot and inefficient at first to get the energy output going. I don't remember the exact code but I think the reactor itself will not blow below 20000C - at which point it will just go boom regardless. The thing is that above 8000C the energy requirements for the shield start to explode and get really out of hand above 10000C (9000C really). But it's still fine as long as you can power the shields.

I am aware that with the maxRFt settings the danger notification flashes for a bit before it then displays BURN MODE. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also I don't think I'll be adding numbers to the bars - the UI was designed to match the reactor UI and most of the raw values are displayed at the center - even some things that have been removed from the reactor UI after 1.7.10 ;). One of the issues is that the bars would require a lot more draw calls to actually draw them and unfortunately those are extremely limited with OC. I don't want the DC GUI to flicker or worse - steal ticks from the controller.

11 hours ago, XyFreak said:

Hey,

if you're not cool with the high initial temperatures then you can set the burnRFt to 0 - it's a setting that runs the reactor extremely hot and inefficient at first to get the energy output going. I don't remember the exact code but I think the reactor itself will not blow below 20000C - at which point it will just go boom regardless. The thing is that above 8000C the energy requirements for the shield start to explode and get really out of hand above 10000C (9000C really). But it's still fine as long as you can power the shields.

I am aware that with the maxRFt settings the danger notification flashes for a bit before it then displays BURN MODE. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also I don't think I'll be adding numbers to the bars - the UI was designed to match the reactor UI and most of the raw values are displayed at the center - even some things that have been removed from the reactor UI after 1.7.10 ;). One of the issues is that the bars would require a lot more draw calls to actually draw them and unfortunately those are extremely limited with OC. I don't want the DC GUI to flicker or worse - steal ticks from the controller.

That's fair enough, would just be nice to see the reactor temp from the screen but I can live without it :)

Thanks for all your help mate