• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
S1mmyy

Can't make new program

Question

I'm following the official tutorial on writing code, and I can't even get into the editor. The tutorial and the help command in the computer say to use the syntax 'edit <New File Name>' to open the editor, and to make a new file. But when I put in exactly what they say to do (I'm also in /tmp as well) which is 'edit test.lua', all that happens is it goes to the next line without doing anything. I really want to get into this mod too.

7 answers to this question

It could perhaps be an out of memory error? The getting started tutorial says to use a 1 tier 1 memory stick. Though technically OpenOS has been optimized to run on one it could help to add more memory to the computer. If I'm going to be able to continue to be any help I'm going to need an error message or at least some pictures to let me know where to start looking.

There definitely isn't enough memory on 1 stick of tier 1 ram to run edit

The minimal amount of ram is enough to do some basic shell commands, but most things are going to fail

2 sticks of tier 1 ram is probably enough for most built in functions and tools

On 1/26/2018 at 4:39 AM, payonel said:

There definitely isn't enough memory on 1 stick of tier 1 ram to run edit

The minimal amount of ram is enough to do some basic shell commands, but most things are going to fail

2 sticks of tier 1 ram is probably enough for most built in functions and tools

Yeah, I decided to make a 1.5, and it worked when I put it in there. What's the point of the Tier 1 if you can't edit files? Is it just to add on to another RAM card in the computer?

The OpenOS operating system is itself a program. It needs ram too. It's the most complex program likely to be running on most OC computers. Also, it's a program that runs and controls 0 or more programs, so it uses a bit of ram. However things like the microcontroller don't load an operating system and so 1 tier 1 stick is usually quite enough for most things.

On 2/7/2018 at 11:44 PM, Molinko said:

The OpenOS operating system is itself a program. It needs ram too. It's the most complex program likely to be running on most OC computers. Also, it's a program that runs and controls 0 or more programs, so it uses a bit of ram. However things like the microcontroller don't load an operating system and so 1 tier 1 stick is usually quite enough for most things.

uhh no, operating systems don't count as a program as it is a environment for programs and a package of programs, not one itself