• Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
PixelPi

BrokenJavaVersion (1.6.0_65, Apple Inc.)

Question

I like to use OpenComputers on a server to teach my nephew. He is using an older Macbook. After installing Forge/OpenComputers he gets an error message:

"You're using a broken Java version! Please update now, or remove OpenComputers. DO NOT REPORT THIS! UPDATE YOUR JAVA!"

So, sorry for reporting this but I have a question. I am not on-site and I only have a screenshot but I think it is probably likely that the exception was thrown here:

https://github.com/MightyPirates/OpenComputers/blob/OC1.5-MC1.8/src/main/scala/li/cil/oc/common/Proxy.scala

Question: Do I see it right that only the version "1.6.0_65, Apple Inc." is affected? If not, where I can find the affected versions? 

Background: I want to prevent that the boy must update his entire operating system. Thus, we have to take probably a slightly older version of Java. If  only version 1.6.0_65 is affected, I think the child can fix this with my help from remote. 

2 answers to this question

Java 6 is a very old Java version, and supporting it is no longer practical for most mods. If your version of OS X is 10.7 (Lion) or newer, then you can go to http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and install the latest version of Java 8. If you're still on OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or older, then you're out of luck, sorry.

The kid have made more screenshots for me. It is a Mac OS 10.6.8 with the suspected Java 1.6.0_65. I was looking for other solutions but it's exactly as you say. Fortunately the Macbook is compatible  to Mac OS version 10.75. So we need to update. Thank you for the quick help.