• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Antheus

Hard Drive Failure

Just my Idea: HDD's fail (Can be disabled in config)

When you make a HDD, it will be assigned a random value -- how long until it fails (Must be greater than a predefined number in the config)

When it starts to get close to the end of the HDD's life, it will start to make more and more noise. You can also check the health of it with some program(Comes with OpenOS)

When it fails, if the user tries to access it, it will output

Error Opening Componet
or something along those lines.

The higher tier HDD's will last longer that the lower tiers.

Just my quick thought.

Some data recovery thing can do too.

Also, make SSDs that are smaller (512k,1m,2m), but don't fail

Nonononono, In my opionion, SSDs should be cheaper but more likley to fail. I have a computer running off a hard drive, and I've had said computer and drive since 2004. I had a school laptop with a SSD, and it failed within 6 months. Perhaps, HDDs could fail randomly, but it would be unlikley, but SSDs would fail after a certain amount of write cycles, so if you used them for archiving and/or running the read-only parts of a system off, it wouldn't kill the drive.

Nonononono, In my opionion, SSDs should be cheaper but more likley to fail. I have a computer running off a hard drive, and I've had said computer and drive since 2004. I had a school laptop with a SSD, and it failed within 6 months. Perhaps, HDDs could fail randomly, but it would be unlikley, but SSDs would fail after a certain amount of write cycles, so if you used them for archiving and/or running the read-only parts of a system off, it wouldn't kill the drive.

Yah. my 1999 computer still works (HDD). SSD wear out when defragged and all that kind of BS.