• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Jasems

Simple 3d printer color input

Question

Description:

I have been having fun printing stuff w/the 3d printer just to the plain chamelium blocks.  I have just been going in and editing a single file changing the hex color, exiting then printing.  Looking to have a program to input just the hex color code, and printer will print it.  Maybe even have a 2nd option after printing to give a quantity?

Function:

Basically load program, it asks for color hex code.  Next screen could be how many, or even ask for the texture block you want to use, in my case just been using chamelium blocks.  Then 3rd screen asks for how many.

Deadline:

No rush, even just something to get me started would be helpful.  Everything I learn about programming I forget after not doing it for a few months... lol

Additional Information:

none atm

Thanks a bunch!

7 answers to this question

Ok I got something basic working, but need help w/the hex input text.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

local term = require("term")

local printer = component.printer3d

term.clear()

term.setCursor(1,1)

printer.reset()

-- Name the Block

io.write(" Name Your Block: ")

printer.setLabel(io.read())

-- This part works great since the read returns as a string, probably a better way to do it, but I am a beginner lol

--set the color tint

io.write("Write in hex color: ")

printer.addShape(0,0,0,16,16,16, "opencomputers:White","true",io.read())

-- this part doesn't get the io.read() command since it returns as a string, i need it to return as just 0xFFFFFF (for example) without quotes.

printer.commit(1)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the above prints, but need to figure out how to change that last io.read() in the printer.addShape tint color.  Would be cool to have it already grab the 0x part so i just have to type the hex color code.  Go easy on me pretty new at all this lol...

That's how I currently have the code, but it doesn't work.  If I manually put the hex code at 0xFFFFFF (for example) in place of the io.read() it works fine, but I think it has something to do w/that sending a string (or something with quotes) but the hex code doesn't work w/the quotes like the booleon and texture does.

So I got this semi-working.  By adding the "*n" to the io.read it seems to take the code and change the hex.  For some reason though it likes to mess up the program temporarily now though.  Probably a much better way to do all of this (which I welcome the improvements), but I got it working for now.  Yay!