• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
XFactHD

Touch screen program

Question

I have two questions on touch screen events:

1: Is it possible to make two parallel loops to not slow down the updating of the screen by pulling an event?

2: I have a program with some rather small buttons. At first I tried to use fixed coordinates in an if statement and then I used a range for the coordinates in the if statement but it still doesn't work for me. Here is the relevant code: http://pastebin.com/KJmUsgD7

2 answers to this question

Instead of a loop with event.pull, try registering a listener function for touch events using event.listen. The listener function is called every time a touch event happens, so you don't need to worry about running a loop yourself.

The reason why your range checks aren't working is because they are never even run - the outer condition not x == nil and y == nil is always false. (not has a higher operator precedence than and, meaning that the condition is parsed as (not x == nil) and y == nil. What you probably want is x ~= nil and y ~= nil. (The check shouldn't be necessary at all, I don't think that x and y could ever be nil, since all touch events have coordinates.)

By the way, if you only have a short piece of code, like a small function, there's nothing wrong with putting it into a code block in your post. Long programs should of course go on Pastebin.

I don't know how to make code blocks on the mobile.

As for your suggestion: The check for not nil is just because the program crashes if you add a timeout to event.pull and the if statement then that checks for the coordinates tries to use nil as a number.

I have briefly looked into event listeners and I am not really sure how to use them.