• Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
dieselfuelonly

Is it possible to populate a database without physical access to items?

Question

So I've been trying to write a program that can find unstackable/limited-stackability items within my AE2 network and export them to a different location.  From a lot of playing around with adapter blocks and looking the the documentation when connected to various AE2 components I've found that I can use getItemsInNetwork() function when connecting an Adapter Block to an ME Controller on a network.

local component = require("component")
local ser = require("serialization")

contents = component.proxy(component.list("mekanism")()).getItemsInNetwork()

for _,v in pairs(contents) do
    if not tonumber(v) then
        if v.hasTag or v.maxSize < 16 then
            print(v.name)
        end
    end
end

file = io.open("contents", "w")
file:write(ser.serialize(contents))
file:close()

The little program above finds items with NBT tags or a stack size of less than 16, and prints out the names of these items.  I was writing the table to a file as well just so I could have a better understanding of what information was contained within the item tables.

And yes, for some odd reason the ME Controller is referenced as a Mekanism block when connected to the Adapter block... lol.  No idea why.

Now, comes the part I'm stuck at, and which appears may not be possible - but maybe I'm just missing something:

In order to move items I would need to use an adapter block connected to an ME export bus.  The function used to set the configuration of the ME export bus needs a database entry containing the item I want the export.

The only way that I can find to write information to a database is by using the Inventory Controller module. And it appears that the store() function needs physical access to the item (whether in a robot slot, or in an inventory slot connected through an adapter/inv. controller when using a computer) in order to be able to create the database entry.  Since I'm only able to pull a table with information about the items from the ME network, but not physically access the items to be able to use the store() function on, I can't seem to get anywhere.

Am I missing something or is it just not possible to do what I'm trying to accomplish?

1 answer to this question

The `mekanism` thing should be fixed in the new version. Should :P

Hmm, yeah, I guess you'd need something to configure a DB from the AE network... something like `store(filter, db)` writing all results of the query to the specified database? Make an issue on Github for something like that.