• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
iceman11a

connecting components together the right way

Question

I have 2 PC connected to one server. The problem is that I get monitor and boot problems. The PC or the server don't want to boot up. or rebooting one pc or server boots every thing. Does any one have a photo or a video that can show me hot to connect them together where I won't have any conflicts. The way I have it connected not. Doesn't work and I can't connect to a modem or broadcast.

I just need a good sample to show me how to connect the 2 pc's and the server together so that I can use one of the pc to broadcast to the server.

The 2nd thing is that I want to be able to use modem.send(). The problem is that the PC or server has an id that way too long. Is there  a way to give each pc and the server a name. and then use that when using modem. send().

1 answer to this question

1st part was discussed on IRC so I'll copy the bit of the log that matters:

[16:20] <@Ender> iceman11a: put a switch between them, it can transfer network messages but components wont be visible from the other side

[16:21] <@Ender> if you want to transfer power, the Power Distributor block is what you want
[16:23] <iceman11a> Ender, The idea I had was to let the server have that option. Let the server have all the components and have to send that information to the pc requesting it.
[16:24] <iceman11a> Ender, Your saying put a switch between each pc and sever. Is that right
[16:26] <iceman11a> Ender, Or can I plug 2 pc's into the switch and plug the switch into the server,
[16:27] <Magik6k> iceman11a: yep, you can
[16:28] <iceman11a> Ender, So all of the above.
[16:28] <iceman11a> It doesn't matter as long as these's a switch between them
[16:36] <@Ender> iceman11a: yes, as long as the connections between the pcs have at least 1 switch inbetween it should be fine

as for the modem stuff, if you write at the top of your script something like 

server = "UUID HERE"
computerA = "Blah"

then you can simply reference it as modem.send( server, port, data )