• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
toor

Robot will not boot to floppy disk

Question

I added a file to my robot's /boot directory which references a library that doesn't exist. Now, for obvious reasons, I get an error and the robot doesn't. I have done something similar on one of my in-game computers and I fixed it by simply booting with an OpenOS floppy and removing the problematic file from the hard drive. However, when I try to boot an OpenOS floppy on my robot, I still get the same error. I don't understand what is wrong here. Why isn't the robot booting to the floppy? Is this a bug? Or am I missing some fundamental understanding of the boot process?

1 answer to this question

The problem is that the robot has set the hard drive as the default boot address. The only way to change this is to either, remove the hard drive (which you can't do since this is a robot and not a computer) or to use computer.setBootAddress([address:string]) (which you have to actually be able to start the robot in order to do). I'd say your best bet for ever recovering that robot is to just put it in a disassembler and hope that you don't lose any of the important components. Then you can fix the hard drive using a normal computer or just replace it before assembling the robot again.