• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Bodo Eggert

Geolyzer using absolute vs. relative direction in robots

The geolyzer will use relative directions for analyze(), but absolute directions for scan().  I don't think this is a good combination.

On a robot, most actions are supposed to be direction-agnostic - you need a navigation upgrade to get an absolute direction. But having a geolyzer, you can not sensibly use it to scan unless you do have an absolute direction … that is, you can, given certain circumstances.

You can analyze() the surroundings and correlate it to scan() results, thereby getting the absolute direction. It doesn't seem to be an intended feature, and it's not a good feature if the robot was supposed to do that.

I think either the geolyzer is supposed to know north, then it's sensible to add a getFacing() call. Or it isn't then it's sensible to make scan() be directional - possibly breaking a lot of programs.

These types of questions are more likely to be seen by our developer team using our github: https://github.com/MightyPirates/OpenComputers/issues

To be honest, I'm fine leaving it the way it is. It's one of those things that has been that way for a long time and people have been using it. This would be a type of breaking change to anyone with existing scripts.