• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
_CURS0R_

Robot screen

One thing i really like about this mod is the ability to program a robot as part of the game play.

But robots very a very small screen and that's almost impossible to use and edit a script. i don't realy understand wky can't robots have better screens why can't i use a better graphics card/screen t get more resolution.

i do understand that robots are very simple computers.

but in reality one would use a development robot with a better screen and then transfer the program o a production robot with just the components needed to operate the program (and a smaller screen)

So my suggestion is to allow robots to have better screens.

(or i'm i missing something, maybe a another way of doing things)

The way it's meant to work is that one would dev the program on a proper computer with a good screen, or out of game, then transfer the program to the robot. The reason robots don't have fancy screens is that there's no need for them, since robot's guis aren't often entered.

ok, I know that.

But 

1 - one can't properly develop a robot program in another opencomputer because the apis aren't available and there is no way to test the program.

2 - why develop outside of the game if I’m there to play the game?

1. Much of the info of apis is found on the wiki, plus after a while of doing it you'll likely find that you'll start to memorise what functions are available and their uses. As for testing, I realise that different people have different coding skills, and need to test more often, which after a while with lua I find myself doing less and less. However, it is much more efficient to use the wiki to write up a full rough draft of the program then just fix problems on the robot with the draft. Trust me, you'll find you can write stuff much faster and understand it better if you develop outside of the game in a text editor, which has a much higher resolution and makes it much easier to edit and see mistakes. Additionally, there are features to using a good text editor, such as code completion so it's not needed to type each individual thing out, automatic indentation, etc. The bulk majority of my programs were written outside of game, then bugfixed. I personally recommend notepad++ for windows. As a Linux user, I would recommend Atom, gedit or vim/emacs. If you don't know the whole scope of your project all at once, then just write individual small tests, then piece them together.

2. Different people use OC for different reasons, and some people find development as fun as playing a game. I personally use OC as more of a tool for ingame automation than a toy, if you understand what I'm saying. Of course, if you don't want to break immersion, then that's fine, you do what you want. If you use OC a lot, I’ll still recommend developing outside of game, then copy+pasting your code in.