• Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
ethanwdp

Copying the component address of a drive (And the disk_drive API in general)

Question

When I hold down ctrl and right click on a disk drive, nothing happens.

I'm having a server connect to redstone I/O blocks and disk drives. If a "key" (a floppy disk) is inserted, and if it has the correct access level, it will open the door.

Obviously, I'll simply need to assign a disk drive to each door. The problem I've run into is that, if I insert the key into some other disk drive on the network, it'll still open the door. If I want to have multiple doors, I'll need to fix this problem.

And so came along 1.6 beta, which introduced a disk_drive component. Problem is that the analyzer still doesn't give me the component address.

There is no functionality to copy a line of text FROM a computer, meaning that if I use components.lua to find the address, I'll have to manually note down the 30-something-char address. Even if using components.lua, albeit slow and inefficient, would solve the issue, it'd quickly become a problem again when I'm manually noting down and assigning the address of 20 different disk drives connected to different doors around the facility.

Let's say that the godking Sangar ascends from his throne and sends a golden ray of patch-goodness to allow the analyzer to copy the address of the disk drive. Now, the problem is knowing what to do with it, which brings me to the second problem I'll have.

The disk drive component has no documentation. Nada. None. I'm rather decent with Lua, and using the component would be a breeze - but only if I knew what it allows me to call.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I am well aware that I have downloaded an open beta, an unfinished program released solely for testing, and I am well aware of the pros and cons, so please do not mistake what I am saying as impatience or ignorance. Is there another way to accomplish my goal, or will I have to wait?

2 answers to this question

1. Shift-click on the disk drive, open the chat, and click on the address to copy it.
  2. Here is an OpenOS command to get the API methods: component -l disk_drive.

As for 1, that doesn't work either, with or without analyzer.

2: Thanks. The problem of getting the address of the diskdrive still remains, however.