• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Eunomiac

Comprehensive Unicode Reference Images

Moderator note: this post is really outdated, and does not represent current OC.

OpenComputers has incredible support for unicode!  Here's a catalogue of OC's unicode support, with each character displayed on a T3 OC monitor.  You can browse these images for the symbols you need, then look up the corresponding unicode.char() value by referring to the numbers at the edges.

I've divided the characters into two categories.  "Single Width" characters are easy to use, since they take up the same space as a normal letter.  "Double Width" codes are a bit trickier---they don't work well with unicode.length() and can be a hassle to place (I find it best to contain them inside a "box" that's two characters wide, for things like buttons or icons).

** Make sure to view full-screen for the best detail. **

And finally, some examples of the nifty art you can make with unicode (in particular, the box-drawing characters, starting at 9470):

The block characters (unicode 9600 - 9631) let you divide a character space into quarters and fill in any combination of them, allowing (among other things) nifty block letters. Other box-drawing characters lend nice curved edges to window borders.
0b9zKsr.png

Unicode characters 9585, 9586 and 9587 offer diagonal lines and X's that span a full character space, allowing crisp diagonal lines without breaks. A full suite of double-width letters, numbers and punctuation (unicode 65281-65376) makes for nice big-ticket items (e.g. the elemental vertices on this map), and help if you need to center something in a space of even width.
YOSELPD.png

Those box-drawing characters really shine when used to create tessellating patterns, since they all connect without any gaps. It's easy to convert ASCII art into Unicode---just find an ASCII pattern you like on the web, and convert all the slashes and underscores into the corresponding "full size" unicode versions.
BHasFxb.png

Oh yeah, two more things: 

• I didn't include pages that were entirely Asian characters, as there were a lot of them, and I wanted to focus on symbol-type characters.  (Besides, I assume anyone interested in those characters is more familiar with using them than I)
  • I apologize for the repeats in the albums, and for the (I think) unnecessarily high code numbers---I didn't know unicode very well when I first compiled these images, and scanned codes way higher than I needed to.  I believe unused high-number codes take repeat filler characters... or something... and I haven't been able to spot a clear division point.  Regardless, all the characters should be there, and all the codes do work.

Those are some very sexy patterned GUIs!

I'd recommend http://unicode-table.com/ for getting a quick overview, though. Only then check the image lookup tables to see how it'd actually look in-game.

Thanks!  I can't take full credit, I found some ASCII patterns on the web and just replaced the slashes and underscores with the corresponding full-width unicode versions.

The main reason I browse these images rather than other sources online is because I'm usually picking symbols based on how they connect with their neighbors, or how they're positioned inside their "boxes" relative to other symbols I'm using (i.e. if one symbol in a set happens to be positioned lower than the others, it looks awful).  It's impossible to get that information without seeing them rendered in OC---so before I made these images, there was a lot of tedious back-and-forth cross-checking :)