• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
XyFreak

Big Reactors Grid Control

so i tried to use this program, it all work perfectly but it seems i have a problem.

when the reactor is put on auto, it display everything normally, but once it's energy capacity is full, well it doesn't stop. i tried to empty it to see if it activate the reactor, nothing.

any idea what could be the problem? i'm curently in FTB revelation 2.0.0 with extreme reactor 0.4.5.49 and OC 1.7.2.67

edit: seems it doesn't even control the rods, also i should maybe add that my reactor is in a compact machine...

@aliax

Exit the gui and please do a `brgcctrl service reactor runOnce` when the reactor(s) are supposed to shut down? Are there any errors popping up? Please repeat with service `grid` if you're using the grid controller (you propably are).

@MARTIKRISO

Your reactor "overheats" (temp >= 1500) and is flagged as faulty as a result.

52 minutes ago, XyFreak said:

@aliax

Exit the gui and please do a `brgcctrl service reactor runOnce` when the reactor(s) are supposed to shut down? Are there any errors popping up? Please repeat with service `grid` if you're using the grid controller (you propably are).

@MARTIKRISO

Your reactor "overheats" (temp >= 1500) and is flagged as faulty as a result.

@XyFreak It hasnt overheated.

On 6/15/2018 at 7:19 PM, aliax said:

so i tried to use this program, it all work perfectly but it seems i have a problem.

when the reactor is put on auto, it display everything normally, but once it's energy capacity is full, well it doesn't stop. i tried to empty it to see if it activate the reactor, nothing.

any idea what could be the problem? i'm curently in FTB revelation 2.0.0 with extreme reactor 0.4.5.49 and OC 1.7.2.67

edit: seems it doesn't even control the rods, also i should maybe add that my reactor is in a compact machine...

I had the same problem, you have to Change your CPU to LUA 5.2 you can do that with holding the CPU and make a shift + right click.

Ok guys i need more information if you want me to help you.

• What's your issue? (expected vs actual behavior)
  • What version of OC / ER are you using? (actual mod versions pls)
  • Is your reactor active / passive?
  • What's your reactors layout? => http://br.sidoh.org
  • What does running `brgcctrl service reactor runOnce` do?
  • Are there error messages popping up when the GUI is closed / when you run brgcctrl?
  • Is the grid controller enabled?
  • What does running `brgcctrl service service runOnce` do?
  • Are there external energy components connected? If so which and how many?
  • Can you screenshot anything that might be useful? (e.g. actual reactor / turbine GUI)

Obviously PWM isn't supposed to overproduce power at all, but since ppl have been reporting it works for them there has either been a change in some API I'm not aware of or there is a configuration (read setup) that doesn't work.

I need to be able to reproduce those things in order to debug them.

@dangerspookycanyon

Is "LOAD" working out for you? Or is the energy generation just getting stuck there?

I've been trying this mod over the past few days and have run into so many problems, it has been unbelievable.

I've managed to get round a few but there are still a few (Critical) problems left.

• What's your issue? (expected vs actual behavior)
    • 1 - Turbine calibration seems to only suit one type of turbine - The most efficient. Anything else and it loses its marbles - Bear in mind this program may be used by players not-yet on the end-game Ludicrite ore or purely have chosen not to go down that route. I've had to manually set the max RPM/steam consumption of the turbines on my install due to the fact the calibration clearly does not work with my setup.
    • 2 - The CLI. There are a few very frustrating, rudimentary mistakes with regards to guiding the configuration via GUI. The "help" command will tell you to put a sequence of arguments in one order but when doing so, it coughs up errors relating to the order of arguments. There's also a general lack of documentation surrounding this method of configuration - The only available resource seems to be the "help" command.
    • 3 - (The biggest) - Despite overcoming the above, the program does not seem to be capable of managing my reactors' steam output vs. turbine requirements. On the trial setup, I have one reactor & three turbines; each of which consume exactly 1623mB/t for an optimum RPM of 1841RPM. For some reason, this program is only enabling the reactor to produce around 3.89 B/t, clearly short of the ~4,869mB/t required. One turbine is sat continuously on "KICKOFF" and the other two are barely at max-RPM. I can get one turbine to max output alone but put another on and it starts buckling. My reactor is definitely capable of it (See bottom).
  • What version of OC / ER are you using? (actual mod versions pls)
    • OC: 1.7.2.1166
    • BR: 0.4.3A
  • Is your reactor active / passive?
    • Active
  • Are there error messages popping up when the GUI is closed / when you run brgcctrl? 
    • Not in relation to the problems above, no
  • Is the grid controller enabled?
    • Yes
  • Are there external energy components connected? If so which and how many?
    • N/A
  • Can you screenshot anything that might be useful? (e.g. actual reactor / turbine GUI)
    • See Attached

Just as a sidenote; I came across this mod to replace the legacy ComputerCraft monitoring system currently in operation across my power station. It has been in continuous use for almost 3 and a half years (24x7) and is fully able to manage the 2 reactors and 6 turbines (2 identical stations on the same site) at maximum capacity, so ultimately I know the setup is capable of operating at the spec mentioned above. I have also specifically chosen to run this turbine setup rather than the most optimum due to a decision I made very early on in the project.

If you have any tips or suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you for the program thus far; with the functionality out of the question, it looks great!

Reactorstatus.png

@Chrisszzyy first of all, thanks for your feedback.

-> 1)

Can you go into detail please?

Each rotor blade in a turbine consumes 25 mB/t per blade that's attached to the rotor. Unless things have changed significantly, anything more than #blades * 25 mB/t is wasted. The controller should NEVER give your turbine more steam than that. This is mentioned in the instructions. And to be honest.... the method of calibrating turbines is REALLY straight forward. I'm guessing #3 actually the root of your troubles. If your turbines CAN go overspeed (aka you have too many blades) then BRGC is going to run into a brick wall but it'll also tell you that this happened (the turbine ERRORs out).

-> 2)

The CLI was something I hacked together to help out in some instances but was never meant to be actually used by the general public. It can help debugging stuff tho, which is the primary goal. It also helped getting BRGC up and running on computercraft without the GUI a WHILE back as an experiment :P

-> 3)

The reason the program falls short to produce the required amount of steam is propably because of the reactors core temperature (just a guess). The red bar also indicates that the reactor is running hot. I do agree that I should propably remove the temperature limitation.... If you want to test that out: reactor_active.lua around line 68, assign 0 to pTemperatureLimit instead of the formular that's there. I should propably remove that myself - the limit code IS quite old and is known to cause problems with inefficient setups. (It's also ugly and the code around that needs to be cleaned up >_>).

Out of curiosity: How hot is your reactor running?

Lastly please allow me to comment on your first sentence.

19 hours ago, Chrisszzyy said:

I've been trying this mod over the past few days and have run into so many problems, it has been unbelievable.

I've been working on this since BR for 1.7 got released and Improved it ever since. I released it to the general public because a friend of mine used it on his server and ppl really wanted it (by the time the only real alternative was dw20s script iirc and that one sucked... and could only control one turbine/reactor combo so...yeah). I've been improving it ever since. Trust me - if there's a problem I run into, it's gone in a matter of hours. Same if you actually tell me how to reproduce the issue myself.

This also means that I do not understand the unbelievable part and yes I'm a bit butthurt by this. I do sincerely appologize if using my program has cost you a lot of time. That was never my intention - this program is supposed to just run and go. Anything else is not acceptable.

That being said - if it's so unbelievable I would love to hear all about the troubles you had setting everything up. You can PM me anytime or join my discord or teamspeak if you think straight up talking about it would be faster. You don't need to worry about meeting a pissed XyFreak btw - I'm always open and thankful for suggestions. I'm happy to hear you out off-record. If you want voicechat, tell me and I'll pm you the details.

On 7/3/2018 at 8:10 PM, XyFreak said:

@Chrisszzyy first of all, thanks for your feedback.

-> 1)

Can you go into detail please?

Each rotor blade in a turbine consumes 25 mB/t per blade that's attached to the rotor. Unless things have changed significantly, anything more than #blades * 25 mB/t is wasted. The controller should NEVER give your turbine more steam than that. This is mentioned in the instructions. And to be honest.... the method of calibrating turbines is REALLY straight forward. I'm guessing #3 actually the root of your troubles. If your turbines CAN go overspeed (aka you have too many blades) then BRGC is going to run into a brick wall but it'll also tell you that this happened (the turbine ERRORs out).

-> 2)

The CLI was something I hacked together to help out in some instances but was never meant to be actually used by the general public. It can help debugging stuff tho, which is the primary goal. It also helped getting BRGC up and running on computercraft without the GUI a WHILE back as an experiment :P

-> 3)

The reason the program falls short to produce the required amount of steam is propably because of the reactors core temperature (just a guess). The red bar also indicates that the reactor is running hot. I do agree that I should propably remove the temperature limitation.... If you want to test that out: reactor_active.lua around line 68, assign 0 to pTemperatureLimit instead of the formular that's there. I should propably remove that myself - the limit code IS quite old and is known to cause problems with inefficient setups. (It's also ugly and the code around that needs to be cleaned up >_>).

Out of curiosity: How hot is your reactor running?

Lastly please allow me to comment on your first sentence.

I've been working on this since BR for 1.7 got released and Improved it ever since. I released it to the general public because a friend of mine used it on his server and ppl really wanted it (by the time the only real alternative was dw20s script iirc and that one sucked... and could only control one turbine/reactor combo so...yeah). I've been improving it ever since. Trust me - if there's a problem I run into, it's gone in a matter of hours. Same if you actually tell me how to reproduce the issue myself.

This also means that I do not understand the unbelievable part and yes I'm a bit butthurt by this. I do sincerely appologize if using my program has cost you a lot of time. That was never my intention - this program is supposed to just run and go. Anything else is not acceptable.

That being said - if it's so unbelievable I would love to hear all about the troubles you had setting everything up. You can PM me anytime or join my discord or teamspeak if you think straight up talking about it would be faster. You don't need to worry about meeting a pissed XyFreak btw - I'm always open and thankful for suggestions. I'm happy to hear you out off-record. If you want voicechat, tell me and I'll pm you the details.

Thank you for your reply; I really appreciate the effort you have gone through to code this and reply to me in details.

Regarding:

1-> Each turbine has 72 blades in total and when calibrating, reaches over 1950RPM before it displays an error, just like you've mentioned. As I previously said, these turbines all sit happily at 1623mB/t (The highest output) with the old program.

2-> I appreciate that lol. I assumed there'd be more options to configure things via the GUI if someone wants to go on a manual approach, so I tried using the CLI.

3-> I've tried implementing that code (Plus re calibrating the reactor) but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. It's currently running at ~228 degrees Celsius whereas they usually run up to ~350 degrees without issue. Picture is attached for the reactor.

Regarding the rest - Most of the problems have stemmed from issues getting the GUI to run on certain monitors - Literally I've had it working on one monitor, unplugged and restarted the server it's all running on (OC Server) and the other screen it complains about a GPU not being present - Very random stuff. This coupled with not being able to run it on more than one screen (which looking at it now looks to be by design) and not being able to set parameters for the turbine.etc on the GUI, soured my initial impression of the program. I apologize for this - I've found it rare in the past to get any kind of useful response from a developer and in this case I've been wrong to assume that.

Thank you for your support!

Reactorstatusinfo.png

1 -> The reason the program has issues with your turbines is that it assumes that it has exactly the correct amount of blades. The formular is pretty simple: total steam = #blades * 25mb/t. Since Your turbine has 72 blades that results in a total of 1800 mb/t, which is too much for your setup and your turbines will go overspeed.

3 -> 350 should be more than fine... if it was over 700 i knew where the problem is but that... seems odd. Something propably went wrong with the calibration. My guess right now would be that it can't output enough steam and thus the program can't collect enough samples to approximate the reactors behaviour. The red load bar supports that thought.
Can you post a construction plan of the reactor so I can have a look at it myself ( http://br.sidoh.org )?

The entire program is supposed to be fully automated without any/a lot additional user interaction. To make this work, a lot of flexibility had to be sacrificed.

Regarding the multimonitor issues. The GUI is designed to only run on one monitor, yes. If you have multiple screens / GPUs installed, it'll bind one of the secondary monitors to any of the secondary GPUs and display the program on there, freeing up the main screen. I've never had it complain about a GPU not being present tho o_O.

Running it more than one time is going to give you trouble for sure. I should propably look into preventing it to even try...

EDIT:

About the calibration issue - looking at the current output %, your reactor should've been able to output enough steam to your turbines. Can you speed down the turbines and remove the config file, then reboot the computer? That'll redo everything... if it still fails then .. uh... i need to test the reactor in my own world and plot some curves to figure out what's going on.

I hate to be a bug poster also but I am having some issues with Actively cooled reactors this last week.  I will post my reactor design but the control program simply says "error" and nothing else.  This is being played on a server

Reactor Design: http://br.sidoh.org/#reactor-design?length=7&width=7&height=5&activelyCooled=true&controlRodInsertion=0&layout=8G5C2GC3XC2GCXCXC2GC3XC2G5C8G&modpack=defaults

Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/AX0D344