• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
XyFreak

Big Reactors Grid Control

51 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

Sorry if this has been asked before; I tried to search but no avail

DW20-1.10.2 - I got a system working, one reactor, 2 turbines, 59Bln RF draconic energy core. The core is connected to the computer and is showing up in the Grid tab.  All is peachy.

My question is about the 'Charge' mode. Does it have a low and high threshold that I can set somewhere, ie let core drain to 50% then charge until full, let it drain again an so on? My power usage is not that high most of the time and I feel like turning the turbines on and off ever few seconds is overkill, I'd rather let the core drain and then charge it back up.

If this is not implemented can you guys think of a way to do this? I got a program that emits a signal based on how full the core is when it discharges below a threshold then it fills the core back up to another threshold. I used it to control my reactor when I didn't have the turbines. However I don't know how to interface it with brgc. I might try to kill the reactor and turbine services then start them back up, but I'm pretty sure this is not the way brgc is meant to be used.

Hi @Gepetto

This is (basically) what the grid controller does on its own. It will alternate between running just enough to increase the charge in your storage or just enough to (barely) discharge your storage. "Charge" mode just tells it to use all available energy sources to fill your energy storage once.

There is no direct way to configure the thresholds BUT you can find them in /usr/lib/brgc/grid_controller.lua

You're looking for lines 46 and 47. The default is: Start discharging after the storage has exceeded 95% and start charging if the storage has fallen below 20%. If you choose to change these values, you'll have to restart your computer.

Also note that the controller attempts to identify instances where your energy demand will exceed the max capabilities of your energy generation and act accordingly. This is only important if you throw passive reactors into the mix though.

Hello.  I love the look and idea of this program and it seems to be working until my minecraft crashes.  It is reporting a Concurrent Modification Exception.  I thought I saw some mention of this issue before but I can't seem to identify a solution.  I am playing the Direwolf20 1.10.2 pack and have on 9x9x5 reactor with two turbines that are 7x7x16,  One turbine has a coil with a mix of enderium and ludicrite (I am replacing enderium with ludicrite as resources allow) and the other turbine has a coil of all enderium.  I can play for hours with no crash as long as the control program is not running.  Once brgc is running the game crashes always with the same exception.  It tends to happen at random times but usually within 15 or 20 minutes or less.  Any suggestions on solving this?  Thank you.

28 minutes ago, Trellinane said:

Hello.  I love the look and idea of this program and it seems to be working until my minecraft crashes.  It is reporting a Concurrent Modification Exception.  I thought I saw some mention of this issue before but I can't seem to identify a solution.  I am playing the Direwolf20 1.10.2 pack and have on 9x9x5 reactor with two turbines that are 7x7x16,  One turbine has a coil with a mix of enderium and ludicrite (I am replacing enderium with ludicrite as resources allow) and the other turbine has a coil of all enderium.  I can play for hours with no crash as long as the control program is not running.  Once brgc is running the game crashes always with the same exception.  It tends to happen at random times but usually within 15 or 20 minutes or less.  Any suggestions on solving this?  Thank you.

Hello @Trellinane

unfortunately this is a known issue (at least here) with computer controlled turbines. For some it works, for some it doesn't. I was able to reproduce this issue and fixed it by updating ER to the latest version at that time. By now every modpack has updated ER so.... I don't think there's any real solution here until ER gets fixed.

My current test environment does not crash and uses:

• ExtremeReactors-1.10.2-0.4.5.30
  • Tesla-1.10.2-1.2.1.49
  • OpenComputers-MC1.10.2-1.6.2.7
  • Forge-12.18.3.2316

All of the above versions should be...quite old by now.

My turbines output their power using Tesla Power Taps.

Here's the github issue: https://github.com/ZeroNoRyouki/BigReactors/issues/111 (Thanks again to @CrazyTolradi). Unfortunately there is no progress there.

Given the disinterest of some mod authors in issues that are not affecting everyone and the time that has gone by with no real progress on the issue, I'm starting to believe that this issue won't ever be fixed. I'd like to be convinced otherwise (that's a challenge, ya hear?!).

Here are some things that MIGHT work but ... keep in mind that I JUST came up with them:

• Use a different kind of energy transfer mod.
  • Relocate your turbine to a different (set of) chunk.
  • Relocate your computer to a different chunk.

-XyFreak

Hi XyFreak,

I'm having an intermittent issue that I think I ran into before on a previous world, but this one is newer and up to date with the modpack (Direwolf20 1.10).

I have an active reactor providing steam to a handful of turbines (5). The issue is that the program won't kick the reactor steam production up enough to power the turbines enough to keep up with power demand. I have a draconic orb attached - had the program charge the energy storage to full, then left it overnight slowly discharging. I came back to a completely empty orb with power generation only about half of what is needed. I tried calibrating the reactor a few times via cli and it appears to have worked on the third attempt after a computer reboot (currently monitoring it) but the previous two attempts did not. What it would do while calibrating is stick all the control rods at some low amount of power (like 80-90% inserted) and then sit there in the CALIBRATING state for 5-10 minutes before clearing it and just leaving the reactor sit there producing 0.5-1.5 B/t of steam (not enough). Additionally, I would see turbines in the "SLOW SPINUP" mode slowly losing speed instead of gaining due to lack of steam.

The only thing I've noticed that stood out to me was that right after starting reactor calibration, the water supply seemed to be insufficient, but it soon caught up to the demand (long before the calibration finished) - could this have thrown the program off in some way? Am I missing something simple here? Using super-laminar fluiduct to move water and steam around, so no bottlenecks there. Let me know if you want any other details.

P.S. Watching it for a few minutes - it appears to have settled down at a sufficient generation rate, but now I see that the reactor temp is higher than I'd like - it's holding steady around 995 C producing 2 B/t of steam and burning around 450 mB/t of yellorium. Is that normal?

Thanks!

I honestly don't think BR crashing with turbines is going to be fixed for 1.10.2, the bug report's been idle for over a month with no updates but work on the mod seems to occur still for 1.12. At the least you can use a BR cooled reactor and a Mekanism turbine if you have Mekanism installed too, which tends to yield more power per mb of steam.

12 hours ago, Ghan said:

Hi XyFreak,

I'm having an intermittent issue that I think I ran into before on a previous world, but this one is newer and up to date with the modpack (Direwolf20 1.10).

I have an active reactor providing steam to a handful of turbines (5). The issue is that the program won't kick the reactor steam production up enough to power the turbines enough to keep up with power demand. I have a draconic orb attached - had the program charge the energy storage to full, then left it overnight slowly discharging. I came back to a completely empty orb with power generation only about half of what is needed. I tried calibrating the reactor a few times via cli and it appears to have worked on the third attempt after a computer reboot (currently monitoring it) but the previous two attempts did not. What it would do while calibrating is stick all the control rods at some low amount of power (like 80-90% inserted) and then sit there in the CALIBRATING state for 5-10 minutes before clearing it and just leaving the reactor sit there producing 0.5-1.5 B/t of steam (not enough). Additionally, I would see turbines in the "SLOW SPINUP" mode slowly losing speed instead of gaining due to lack of steam.

The only thing I've noticed that stood out to me was that right after starting reactor calibration, the water supply seemed to be insufficient, but it soon caught up to the demand (long before the calibration finished) - could this have thrown the program off in some way? Am I missing something simple here? Using super-laminar fluiduct to move water and steam around, so no bottlenecks there. Let me know if you want any other details.

P.S. Watching it for a few minutes - it appears to have settled down at a sufficient generation rate, but now I see that the reactor temp is higher than I'd like - it's holding steady around 995 C producing 2 B/t of steam and burning around 450 mB/t of yellorium. Is that normal?

Thanks!

Hi @Ghan,

to answer your last question: This doesn't seem normal at all.

Not being able to provide the reactor with enough water will indeed throw off reactor calibration.

To sufficiently analyze your problem I'd at least need to see the reactor (A http://br.sidoh.org blueprint should do).

18 minutes ago, XyFreak said:

Hi @Ghan,

to answer your last question: This doesn't seem normal at all.

Not being able to provide the reactor with enough water will indeed throw off reactor calibration.

To sufficiently analyze your problem I'd at least need to see the reactor (A http://br.sidoh.org blueprint should do).

It's just a simple 5x5. Should be this:

http://br.sidoh.org/#reactor-design?length=5&width=5&height=5&activelyCooled=false&controlRodInsertion=0&layout=6CXCX3CX3CXCX6C

I just have one input and one output for steam/water. I'm pulling water in via a simple Ender IO tank being filled by Refined Storage - this might be a bottleneck. The fluiduct is directly connected to the tank, but I don't know if that means it can pull as fast as it wants (I never see the tank or the fluiduct empty).

So...just to make sure I fully understood your setup:

You have 5 turbines and one reactor for each. All reactors/turbines are connected to a single controller? If so make sure all reactors can feed steam to al turbines.

If it's a simple 1 turbine, 1 reactor, 1 controller setup then everything SHOULD be fine. But the water supply is a serious concern. If you want to use a tank, concider using the Thermal Expansion ones. Putting those on top of a coolant port and having them output SHOULD be able to buffer some demand - if you're also feeding the condensed water from the turbine directly into the reactor.

@XyFreak

I have found out a few things, but I think I'm more confused now than I was. When I first checked this evening, the system was producing about 20k RF/t for a power demand of 21k RF/t - Grid = DECREASING CHARGE, so no issue there, that's what I expect to see. However, the reactor was doing so with a temp around 1050C, which seems to be much hotter than it should be running it. Also, I noticed that lo and behold, my tank was out of water (water generation wasn't keeping up). So I've gone ahead and added 4 Ender IO Reservoirs connected to the water line. Tried the portable tanks, but they don't seem to be able to extract that fast, and I overall needed more water generation, not just storage.

Ran a calibration on the reactor with the extra water production and it kept up as the reactor ramped up to 800 mB/T, then 1600 mB/T, then 2000 or so. However, right as it was finishing calibration (and I heard the computer sound of writing a file change), all the water drained for a few seconds and had to catch back up. I think it shut off some of the turbines because the algorithm told it that it was producing excess power, causing the water production to drop. At the same time, the reactor temp went up to 1000C (was below 200C during the calibration) and now stays there even though I've done this loop through a couple times now. Here is the steady state (20.7 kRF/T out of 21.9 kRF/T):

Ghan-18-07-17_19:23:31.png

I've also noticed that just running "brgcctrl calibrate <id>" doesn't seem to work. Sometimes when I try this, the reactor will just immediately go to ERROR on the GUI screen. Then I have to shut down the brgcctrl services, restart the reactor, and then restart the services or just reboot the computer to run through calibration again. Other times, the reactor will just sit there with all rods inserted at 100% producing 0 steam. It doesn't seem to budge from this position once stuck.

For the record, here's the list of assets the program is managing. Turbines are 2 x 20 blade, 2 x 40 blade, and 1 x 80 blade:

Ghan-18-07-17_19:34:51.png

Kind of scratching my head on what the issue would be here. It appears to be running the reactor hot due to an overproduction of steam at the steady state, but why would it be doing this? Could this be caused because I didn't start with all 5 turbines and instead added a couple after the program was initially running? Should I try wiping out the config and starting over?

I can PM you my server address if you want to come take a look yourself. Let me know.

Thanks!

@Ghan

First of all thanks for the throughout description of your situation. I really hate to give a very short answer to very throughout questions, but.... can you PM me the server address? ^^;

The picture of the reactor GUI shows stuff that shouldn't happen - at all: The reactors steam tank is full, there is excessive heat and the rods are STILL not inserted 100% (aka you're consuming fuel) - that's just not right.

Soooo Hi again, it's been a while xD. Having a bit of trouble with the latest version on 1.7.10. I have set up a reactor with a computer controlling it just fine, my friends are trying to do the same on the same server and it's failing to download br_grid_control @ 50% however it works fine in single player. Any idea what would cause this? Is it one controller per server?

2 minutes ago, corbanj6534 said:

Soooo Hi again, it's been a while xD. Having a bit of trouble with the latest version on 1.7.10. I have set up a reactor with a computer controlling it just fine, my friends are trying to do the same on the same server and it's failing to download br_grid_control @ 50% however it works fine in single player. Any idea what would cause this? Is it one controller per server?

No but you should check the amount of RAM you installed in the computer. Also the server might hit a memory limit somewhere...

If nothing works, just clone your computers hdd ;)

Big Reactors Grid Control Version 4.2.4 has been released!

Changelogs:

- Fixed a bug that caused the grid controller to crash if more than one passive reactor is connected
 - Fixed a bug where the turbine controller would include disabled/suspended turbines steam input in the total steam requirements.

10 hours ago, mcshadowdrag said:

hello i need assistance, when trying to install the program i get a error saying that i already installed it, but once i attempt to run it it gives another error

anyone know what i am doing wrong and what i need to do to get it working?

2017-07-22_02.30.41.png

This normally happens when the file thats trying to be run is empty, happened to me a couple of times earlier with a different program as the files weren't downloading from pastebin. Try redownloading the installer as @XyFreak said.

Having an issue with using the GUI.

Whenever I try to open the configuration part for the reactor I just get a blank black screen.

https://gyazo.com/94cb14e48ac2038b76b021c432e27586

Then, when/if it finally shows up (sometimes I have to wait, sometimes I have to spam click the button and the majority of the time it just doesn't work) the current power generation/fuel usage doesn't update:

https://gyazo.com/50c02e7b827b230c3bc0baa859b51525

https://gyazo.com/a5ef94cb8b39fa31e71a60a56ccd0f0b

Any idea what could be causing these issues? I'm a complete noob.

What I have tried:

Completely wiping the harddrive and reinstalling OpenOS+BRGC

Reinstalling BRGC 

Replacing the Computer port on the reactor

Picking up and moving the Computer (was originally directly placed onto the Computer port)

Changing the size of the monitor

At first, it was working fine, then after some time this started happening, though it does still control the reactor, so it's probably just an issue with the GUI.

I also sometimes get this error when attempting to exit the GUI

629247267245e8ee707c9dab0899a8f5.png
https://gyazo.com/629247267245e8ee707c9dab0899a8f5

Which I'm assuming is pointing to UpdateInfo/onDraw, but I'm a complete novice when it comes to lua or coding in general.

Running Minecraft 1.10.2 with the FTB Beyond back.

OpenComputers 1.6.2.7

Extreme Reactors 0.4.5.30

Computer case: https://gyazo.com/a1e5a6cdf635a306bda184f54eea6222

Computer/Monitor Setup: https://gyazo.com/b66af35bb00e2dfefea348eba35e07f2

Reactor Computer Port: https://gyazo.com/0eb42aaad34ec102fc5ed7ceeeb05bea

The reactor itself is a 5x5 passive with 5 fuel rods.

The runonce command didn't do anything that I could see.

d9daa93ca8c411f8eec1c2ca4647424d.png
https://gyazo.com/d9daa93ca8c411f8eec1c2ca4647424d

The program definitely runs properly the gui just seems to have issues updating. I am also playing on a server if that makes any difference, though it has low population. (4-5 people at peak)

The good news is: The controller itself seems to be working.

The bad news is: While I know WHAT is happening (thanks to your big screenshot of the libGUI error), I don't know WHY.

Essentially the rate with which RF is extracted from your reactor is calculated to be NAN. Of course getting NAN is simple: divide zero by zero, divide by infinity or use NAN in a calculation. And yes, there is a division in there somewhere but that one can't devide by zero. I made sure of it. The only numbers I get which are not under my control are the ones from extreme reactors. And I'll just assume those are not NAN as well ;)

So yeah....

I also just double checked in my test world that your setup should not be an issue at all.

I kinda hate using this answer as a solution for everything lately, but: Is there a way for me to check this issue in person? Like: a world file or a server?

Ok - again for everyone here.

BRGC does NOT work with your CPU set to Lua 5.3 right now. I have to at least change all my string.format uses throught the entire code for that to work.

So unless I release an update: Do not attempt to use Lua 5.3 if you want to use the GUI. The controller itself works perfectly fine on 5.3 though.