• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
XyFreak

Big Reactors Grid Control

Update on my situation:

The system rebooted and started calibrating.  The reactor got up to 8.5 B/t then went back down to where it was.  The turbines make it up to ~1800 then ran back down to 1100~ and stayed there.  If you want you can hop on the server or I can upload the world, if that would help.

@JustCallMeJick please do. If you need a drop off space for the world file please send me a PM and I'll give you some.

@Programeditor I see two flaws there with your setup:

Your turbine goes over speed. Anything above 1950 RPM is considered a failure.

Your reactor gets too hot. This is usually caused by your steam transfer rate being too low. This might be induced by the turbine being shut down though.

-XyFreak

EDIT: Fixed my grammar.

Ok guys I'll post the "solution" to @JustCallMeJick s problem here for everyone to read.

RefinedStorage is NOT able to transfer steam fast enough on its own. It COULD do it because it is able to transfer large amounts of liquids at once, but it only does it every other tick.

Unfortunately, turbines only have enough steam tank capacity for 2 ticks at full steam (see what I did there xD). RS seems to transfer liquids every 4 ticks (that's a guesstimate, not something I actually verified). The result is your turbines not running faster than half their speed.

The catch here is that the turbines GUI doesn't update fast enough to show you this. Instead it would appear that there is either not enough steam at all or enough steam at all times... and the result is that you don't know what's wrong.

If you'd still like to use RefinedStorage I suggest putting the steam storage barrel near the turbines and use something like ActuallyAdditions Lasers (do they transfer fast enough?) or maybe ExtraUtilities 2 Nodes from there.

-XyFreak

EDIT:

I just came up with another pure RefinedStorage idea:

Instead of importing steam into a barrel and exporting it into the turbines, connect the turbines as "storage" directly. This might work.

Hey, this looks like a great bit of software.

I always used to run BigReactors with my own, very basic Lua program on ComputerCraft, but FTB Beyond doesn't include CC, so I thought I'd play around with OpenComputers (rather than just use a comparator - because that's boring)!

Either way, when I run the installer, it does a little bit and then fails and says this:

Failed to download br_grid_control

Sounds like it can't get through for some reason. Any ideas?

Ok, I wondered if it was my cheapo computer. It was. I spawned in a tier 3 case, screen, CPU, HDD, GPU and a couple of sticks of RAM. Then I tried running the program on that; it installed just fine. I haven't tested it with my reactor as I just threw this down in the save I'm actually playing on.

Here's the spec of the computer I intend to use:
Tier 2 case,
Tier 1 CPU,
Tier 1 HDD,
1 x Tier 2 RAM,
Tier 1 GPU,
Internet Card.

What's the limited factor? I'm guessing the CPU or HDD but I imagine you'll be able to tell me so that I can fix it when I get back online in a couple of days.

I'm running a 15x11x15 reactor with 13 control rods and filled with gelid cryothium. Have three 7x16x7 turbines with ludicrite blocks. I can't get the mb/t in the reactor down to 2000, stays between 3900-4000. I'm using dimension transceivers to move steam and water. In the reactor, water stays between 2000-5000 mb and steam between 46000-48000 mb on the gui. Only one turbine is getting steam at 2000 mb on the gui, the other two do not show any steam in the gui.

Edit: The turbines never reach 1780 rpm, as your page states it should fro the program to do its maths. The program engages the coils around 1250 rpm and doesn't disengage till around 147 rpm. Reactor fluctuates between 3.24-4.61 B/t. 10 rotors per turbine. Before running the program, each turbine would output around 25 KiRF/t when engaged at the desire 1800 rpm. Control rod depth, while running the program is 94-95%. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

2017-04-23_13_49_37.thumb.png.e953353e4527afd945f02db18f8e1796.png

Edited by LegatusDragon
Addition info added

Odd thing I've noticed...

I had my world on single player for a long time and the computer was reset a few times (chunk loading issues, I assume) causing it to re-calibrate. Every single time, my reactor would output almost exactly 550kRF/t every single time (on PWM). I have tweaked the configs slightly - it's not that big of a reactor.

I've since moved the world to my server to take the strain off of the client and every time it happens now, I get a different result.

Initially, it carried on the same. Then it started running at 590kRF/t. Next time, it is only showing 540kRF/t.

Any idea what's causing the huge variances? I would have thought tick-rate, but surely the tick rate on my SP save would have been worse - or at least more erratic - than when it's run on the server?

Well... mods work different on a server than in single player. I can think of a few reasons why the results vary, but I have no explanation for why they do on a server and don't in single player though.

The recalibration issue is going to be fixed with the next release btw.

I'm also curious on what configs you tweaked. If you modified the polynomials by hand I'm going to be impressed ;)

11 minutes ago, XyFreak said:

Well... mods work different on a server than in single player. I can think of a few reasons why the results vary, but I have no explanation for why they do on a server and don't in single player though.

The recalibration issue is going to be fixed with the next release btw.

I'm also curious on what configs you tweaked. If you modified the polynomials by hand I'm going to be impressed ;)

Prepare to be disappointed...

general (
    # A multiplier for balancing fuel consumption. Default: 1.0
    D:fuelUsageMultiplier=16.0

And this...
	reactor {
    # The maximum valid size of a reactor in the Y dimension, in blocks. Lower this if your server's players are building ginormous reactors. Bigger Y sizes have far less performance impact than X/Z sizes
    I:maxReactorHeight=128
	    # The maximum valid size of a reactor in the X/Z plane, in blocks. Lower this if your server's players are building ginormous reactors
    I:maxReactorSize=63
    # A multiplier for balancing reactor power production. Stacks with powerProductionMultiplier. Default: 1.0
    D:reactorPowerProductionMultiplier=4.0
}

It's basically so that I can build mahoosive reactors until I get to the point that I actually can be bothered to work on building 20+ turbines. Going to play with RFTools Builder or perhaps go the old-fashioned route and use MFFS since that's in FTB Beyond. That's assuming you can still build things that way.