• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
takaqod

Questions about : IDE | Project management | Libraries

Question

Hi,

I want to start coding some programs in OC but i'm facing questions i would like to solve before really writing.

1) IDE
I usually write in NotePad++ for simple Lua programs, but i'm thinking, there must be a better way to do it for code completion, etc.
I already checked this wiki but i want to see your personal opinions and reasons.

2) Project Management
I chose to use Git/GitHub for source management and i wish to have one repo for each libraries, programs, etc.
In this way, i could easily have independent releases, and this will force me to thinking in modular and reusable manner.
But this will also greatly increase the amount of repo and will messed up my github account with a bunch of relative projects (OC lua) side by side with potentials other projects.
So i'm searching a way to have all the pros of multiple repositories whitout the con of the spread.
Like one big repo container with multiple real repo in it.
The best compromise i found is the use of an organization for that. But i ask because i must miss something easier.

3) OC librairies
To have access in libraries, we use 'require', ok.
But how it works? Is there a specific directory on the in-game computer for libraries storage?
And if not how OC knows where to search?

If i want multiple instances of one library on a computer for example :
myLib(v1.0.0) and myLib(v2.0.0) used by two different programs but not the same version.
how can i handle this?

Thanks for your answers and suggestions!

2 answers to this question

Hi,

I want to start coding some programs in OC but i'm facing questions i would like to solve before really writing.

1) IDE

I usually write in NotePad++ for simple Lua programs, but i'm thinking, there must be a better way to do it for code completion, etc.

I already checked this wiki but i want to see your personal opinions and reasons.

I myself use Atom, a text editor for linux. It also has ports for other operating systems. It has code completion, auto indent, and can interface with VCS like github. You will need to install a plugin for it to handle lua, however.

2) Project Management

I chose to use Git/GitHub for source management and i wish to have one repo for each libraries, programs, etc.

In this way, i could easily have independent releases, and this will force me to thinking in modular and reusable manner.

But this will also greatly increase the amount of repo and will messed up my github account with a bunch of relative projects (OC lua) side by side with potentials other projects.

The way I do it, and I recommend it be done, is to just keep one repository for all OC programs, then subdivide it into folders if a project has more that one file. Making individual repos for each program is inefficient unless the project is huge with many files.

3) OC libraries

To have access in libraries, we use 'require', ok.

But how it works? Is there a specific directory on the in-game computer for libraries storage?

And if not how OC knows where to search?

The way require works is that it looks at your system path on the computer for places to look for files. For libraries, this will be /lib or /usr/lib. It looks for programs in /bin or /usr/bin or just /, etc.

If you need to have different versions of libraries, they must simply be named differently, then in the program, referenced correctly.