• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
jhagrid77

(Not really for program but yea) A tutorial for making your own OS

Question

Description:

I think it would be cool if someone made a tutorial for making your own OS because yes there are quite a few OSes made, but some people like to specify what they want, like I want one with a GUI, but it's hard to find exactly what I want (which is kinda like say Windows XP or Ubuntu) but I don't know how to make an OS and don't like to bug people to make one for me.

Function:

To teach people how to make their own Operating System.

Deadline:

Maybe a month.

(Depending on who does it)

Additional Information:

Preferable an in-depth, kinda step-by-step tutorial.

3 answers to this question

I don't know if that is possible for the simple reason: Operating systems are complicated.

OSs are made up of a hundred different parts from file management to shells and of course the myriad of helper programs you have to provide.

Most of the things you have to do to get it working are not exactly easy and making a step by step guide on them would be really, REALLY long.

So a step by  step guide, not that possible but a collection of guides for the small pieces that can be done by a active community.

I personally don't have the most experience with OpenComputers but I have a bit formal and a lot of unformal training in creatingo operating systems and programming at a low level, so it may be possible that I start a tutorial series on creating an operating system if I get some help by someone with a little more experience with OpenComputers.

EDIT: I actually started a guide here.