• Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
DevonTheNovice

Isn't it about time for an internet task force for OC?

Question

Description:

Networking in OC has long been the realm of LAN's. I think it's about time to change that, and would like to perhaps start an internetwork task force, to design the rules and build a new networking system that could allow programmers to focus on the software. Basically, I feel it's time someone invented the Internet in Minecraft. 

Function:

A best-effort networking system similar to TCP/IP in the real world. Allowing subnetworks, reducing traffic on every network massively, and giving everyone more freedom to go crazy with OC's networks!

Deadline:

Whenever, it's a large scale project that will take a long time to complete.

Additional Information:

We would probably have to work as a group on this project, but even small ideas are welcome! Simply ask me if you have any questions

I look forward to input on this!  :D

8 answers to this question

Tecnically out of the reach of an In-game internet. But then, why should it be?

If we thought of the pi as just a cloud server (A server our minecraft characters don't know where it is, but use anyway), and used an idea I've been playing around with (Cross-server networking without propiatary protocols) We could make entire networks, perhaps even the entire minecraft world reach the pi (We'd have to config an in-game bridge device to control that traffic)

I replied to your other post, so if you'd like to talk about the pi itself, we can do it there where I covered some of the tecnical details behind it. :) However, if you want to talk about adding game-server to real world communication to a minecraft version of TCP/IP, we can do so here!

With some work and putting rules behind it all, we could bridge entine networks! You'd be able to send files, open web-pages, pm, email, and who knows what else? All through a single (Cluster on a large scale) OCnet-Internet bridge! You could link 2, 3, 4. The current addressing class system I'm drafting states that a class one address set (FF00.0000.0000.0000) could hold 256 networks, (minus one for technical reasons, view the mess that is unet documentation) so one could easily a couple HUNDRED minecraft servers with OS in a mesh. Maybe unreasonable, But I like the idea! Thousands of in-game computers, working on several MC servers, talking to eachother as if they were in different parts of the world, even though they are entirely independant worlds!

Again, something of this scale should have input from more then a simple Computer Engineering student like me  :P hence why this is a request.

I believe that people are getting confused because of the name...

The lowercase i in internet is intentional,  internet stands for inter-network, where as Internet (mind the uppercase I) is the name of the real world internet.

What I want does not actually have anything to do with the real Internet. Far from it actually. The core idea is to allow a unified networking solution for programmers. A system that on the API side, sees a networking system, but on the data transmission side can see a network card, or a wireless network card, or a redstone card, or many other different data transmission mediums.

Through the use of microcontrollers and eventually servers (If the ideas I've seen for OC 1.6 go through) I'd like to split apart networks, and have message flow managed between them.

I believe that people are getting confused because of the name...

The lowercase i in internet is intentional,  internet stands for inter-network, where as Internet (mind the uppercase I) is the name of the real world internet.

What I want does not actually have anything to do with the real Internet. Far from it actually. The core idea is to allow a unified networking solution for programmers. A system that on the API side, sees a networking system, but on the data transmission side can see a network card, or a wireless network card, or a redstone card, or many other different data transmission mediums.

Through the use of microcontrollers and eventually servers (If the ideas I've seen for OC 1.6 go through) I'd like to split apart networks, and have message flow managed between them.

and as i said, use the real internet to do this, I once tried to do this with a php server, posting data to send with the address to send to, and then the php stores it until the other computer sends get request to it. the php worked and because i am lazy i never finished it. I never make finished projects, only proof of concepts

What you're thinking about here is mistakenly called an "internet".

You don't need any protocol creation, OC manages transmission between computers fairly well. And addresses already are unique over every component.

What you're describing is an abstraction layer. You'd basically have access to multiple networks as if they were one. I'd say it's the place of services to handle this.

(I still doubt it would be useful, though, since most of network interfaces use APIs that look alike.)