• Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Gangsir

Pulse- Cool dynamic screensaver! Updated to V2, Now with GIF!

Disclaimer: This is not my code, this is merely a port of a program made by KingofGamesYami, who's original thread can be found Here. This is merely a port by me.

Edit: Updated to King's V2 version of the program. Original thread link still works.

So, I was browsing dank memes the Computercraft forums looking for programs that would be nice to have on OC. Then, I stumbled upon Pulse, which is a screen saver made by KingofGamesYami. I ported it to OC, and gave it a way to terminate nicely without leaving the text colour or background messed up. I figured I'd share my port, so others may enjoy it. To end the program, simply press a key. Anything but the ESC key works, to my testing.

The program can be found at my Github.

https://github.com/NoahNMorton/MinecraftLuaPrograms/blob/master/OpenComputers/PulseOCPort.lua

Or, it can be fetched with wget if you prefer:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/NoahNMorton/Gangsir_MC_LuaPrograms/master/OpenComputers/PulseOCPort.lua pulse.lua

Although, I've heard that github doesn't like lots of people wget-ting a repo too much. Don't be surprised if your wget fails. It's more reliable to just copy+paste.

The requirements are as follows:

Tier 2 Screen and Graphics card or Tier 2 APU

Tier 2 case/Tier 1 server

A good amount of energy coming into the network, as the screen consumes a lot.

The program pulls from 2 tables, a char and a back/foreground colour, and randomly fills the screen with them. More characters and colours can be added, and the program will use them.  Note that while tier 2 graphics is required for colour support, tier 3 is recommended for best results.

Also note that sometimes if the text colour and the background colour match up, the text will stop flowing. It will come back after a few seconds, and I’m working on a fix.

Gif of the screensaver in action:

SandyFragrantAquaticleech.gif

For those wondering what my OS is, I use Ubuntu 14.04 Linux, with Unity desktop.