• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
EliteClubSessions

MineOS, operating system

On 1/21/2017 at 1:51 PM, DarkPikachu said:

unfortunately, I can't redistribute as it's against his license, as much as I would absolutely love to...

hopefully he'll give me permission. :)

I may be a hacker, but when something good comes around, I have to respect. ;)

I can tell you what I did to install, but be warned, it's quite tedious... (just placing stuff in it's proper directories and creating links)

format for the .lnk files is very simple, it's just an lua file that returns a string to the desired location:

return "/MineOS/Applications/RayWalk.app"

^ would be nice if these functioned more like Linux . desktop launchers...

all I did was download the MineOS repository here: https://github.com/IgorTimofeev/OpenComputers

before doing anything related to copy/paste, first build or spawn a hard drive, and install OpenOS on it.

now OpenComputers likes to preserve the drive as much as possible, but can't do so on an item being dragged (I had to redo everything about 3 times before figuring this out).

if you leave the hdd in any inventory slot, OC will overwrite anything you try to change, thus breaking your manual installation. (this really sucks for me because I use external IDEs for editing lua)

so to prevent this, just simply click (pick up) the hdd, and drag your cursor out of the window.

to find your hdd, simply navigate to your Minecraft directory/saves/*world*/opencomputers/*hdd id*

NOTE: the hdd id is displayed either in the item tooltip, or when you call the mount command.

you should find your OpenOS installation there.

now, in the repo you downloaded /Installer/installer.lua, it checks the initial requirements (which I believe could be lower), and then downloads /Applications.txt and parses it into an array, performing everything required via this array.

NOTE: everything in quotes refers to a variable for the current entry in the Application array.

1: if "preLoadFile" then create file /"name"

2: create the file /MineOS/System/OS/OSSettings.cfg with this code:

{
	    ["showHelpOnApplicationStart"] = true,
	["screensaver"] = "Matrix",
	["screensaverDelay"] = 20,
	["language"] = "English",
	["dockShortcuts"] = {
	    [1] = {
	        ["path"] = "/MineOS/Applications/AppMarket.app"
	    },
	    [2] = {
	        ["path"] = "/MineOS/Applications/RayWalk.app"
	    },
	    [3] = {
	        ["path"] = "/MineOS/Applications/Photoshop.app"
	    },
	    [4] = {
	        ["path"] = "/MineOS/Applications/VK.app"
	    }
	}

"Directory/saves/*world*/opencomputers/*hdd id*/"

Well i didnt see that coming ;D

And thank you for the tip :D

(Trying to use mineos on my oc but it has many bugs becuz of confusing "empty table(array)" values with "nil" values :l)

Edit:  the last error i had: (im tired of this debugging i had >:-l )

/lib/filesystem.lua:284: bad argument #1 (string exepected, got nil):

stack traceback:

[C]: in function 'error'

machine:29: in global 'checkArg'

/lib/MineOSCore.lua:117: in field 'getFileList'

/lib/MineOSCore.lua:392: in method 'updateFileList'

/OS.lua:637: in field 'updateFileList'

/OS.lua:444: in local 'changeResolution'

/OS.lua:688: in main chunk

3 hours ago, Laughing_Dragon said:

Minecraft 1.10.2
OpenComputers 1.6
I have attempted the install several times.
Tier3 everything. OS installed to Tier3 HDD.
What am I missing?

2017-01-24_09.54.30.png

Thats what im said in the previous post:

That error is because of that : lua compiler confuses empty table(array) values with table values

Maybe we need to report that in opencomputer's github repository as an bug ;)

4 hours ago, Laughing_Dragon said:

Minecraft 1.10.2
OpenComputers 1.6
I have attempted the install several times.
Tier3 everything. OS installed to Tier3 HDD.
What am I missing?

2017-01-24_09.54.30.png

I am having this problem too. But in the version 1.7.10 of the Opencomputers. This was working fine before, dunno why it wont work now.

I think it might have something to do with OC's cruddy networking that's been plaguing my NetBiOS development since I started it...

half my files don't "load"

and by that I mean I was working on a hot-loader which downloaded the data to RAM and attempted to load it.

might I say, it was very sparatic and didn't work as expected...

file not found errors everywhere, even if they loaded before...

EDIT: even though it's tedious and annoying as F...

I actually have to recommend manual installation, I'll rework my tutorial with every step when I'm actually on a computer. ;)

sad because I actually had an image of what the apps folder was supposed to look like...

EDIT2:

I just realized, what version of lua are you guys using??

despite my issue it might be installing correctly, but there's 2 things that might just be killing this:

1: I get errors when I switch to lua 5.3

my screenshot was posted using lua 5.2

2: remember when I mentioned the drive state?

what if OC is restoring OpenOS's operational runtime files while OpenOS is running?

that would cause missing field errors like that.

EDIT3: for 2, not sure if this will work, but if you're using a "Managed" drive, try switching it to "Unmanaged" and reinstall.

if this doesn't fix the secure drive-state issue (as in files still revert back), please let me know :)

10 hours ago, DarkPikachu said:

I think it might have something to do with OC's cruddy networking that's been plaguing my NetBiOS development since I started it...

half my files don't "load"

and by that I mean I was working on a hot-loader which downloaded the data to RAM and attempted to load it.

might I say, it was very sparatic and didn't work as expected...

file not found errors everywhere, even if they loaded before...

EDIT: even though it's tedious and annoying as F...

I actually have to recommend manual installation, I'll rework my tutorial with every step when I'm actually on a computer. ;)

sad because I actually had an image of what the apps folder was supposed to look like...

EDIT2:

I just realized, what version of lua are you guys using??

despite my issue it might be installing correctly, but there's 2 things that might just be killing this:

1: I get errors when I switch to lua 5.3

my screenshot was posted using lua 5.2

2: remember when I mentioned the drive state?

what if OC is restoring OpenOS's operational runtime files while OpenOS is running?

that would cause missing field errors like that.

EDIT3: for 2, not sure if this will work, but if you're using a "Managed" drive, try switching it to "Unmanaged" and reinstall.

if this doesn't fix the secure drive-state issue (as in files still revert back), please let me know :)

OpenOS won't install on a Unmanaged hdd. So, that won't work. (I have tried from a fresh install.)

This screenshot shows it here.

2017-01-26_04.31.35.png

Edit: Nevermind, seems a new hdd, eeprom and all components replaced solved this problem. (Ignore this screenshot, that was when I tried to install openos to an unmanaged hdd)

you know what... screw his rule, I'm contributing to his work.

It's not like I'm redistributing a modified version, or trying to make an income...

no I'm trying to make people's lives easier, so I don't think he'll mind.

it'll likely be outdated though...

anyways, here's the link:

https://mega.nz/#!otB1WSpS!KC58QGPkORWyXwohzrGWoFSg4tCOFofsemWxifdyhAs

this is an unmodified backup of my initial installation. I did this so I could install it on other drives without going through the grueling process again.

@forum devs: please make it possible to edit raw text, the current editor has sucked since I started using this forum.

btw @EliteClubSessions why did you not modify the search paths of the package module so you could use require() on local modules??

I'm working on fixing up the minecode app with more than what you have in your beta source and have had to work around loading local modules using loadfile() which was a B to figure out. (the rest variable isn't always in _G which caused a few issues in building the loader)

I did build a working loader, but the fact I had to should not be the case.

@LastAIif by locked you mean frozen (at the boot screen), it happens to me too, just restart the computer, it will eventually get through.

that was the glitch I reported earlier, and yes, it happens quite often...

I think it's due to your real computer not having enough power to run Minecraft well, wait until your FPS picks up for the best results.

(my computer runs Minecraft at around 16 to 24 FPS, for comparison)

oh... that could be the config file... oops... :P

I've removed the download on mega for now, I'll edit it with the new link when I rebuild and upload tomorrow... haha

EDIT: just to note, I'm only modifying the config file, MineOS creates new entries when you first login, so it's pretty much the same image :P

I'm not too worried about my insecure actions, as the OS doesn't do a good job of protecting the information anyways... lol

but to add, I won't ever be stupid enough to put anything needing security on my machines to begin with... :P

I've been translating a few things here a there on my phone, but I wouldn't go as far as to start uploading anything any time soon on this stupid thing...

keeping it to 1 file a time until I get some real internet. ;)

(whenever that'll be 9_9)

if nobody does anything before then, I'll have some treats for people ;)

I would like to look into that error and fix it myself, but I got other stuff in the way atm:

UGE, SIDE, UGESL, OCHL, my forum (plugins), and a bunch of sub-projects for all those major projects...

I'm also working on some stuff (such as an OS) for

OCLights, where it's screens have blitted framebuffers that can display in 24bit color, and can even display images through it's API.

I just realized, why is there no terminal app!? D:

EDIT: let alone a window manager...

good god this is about as bad as Android KitKat.

I'll give some credit though, at least it runs, though I can't say it runs well...

just like my main project, haha.