• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
EliteClubSessions

MineOS, operating system

Ki5bX0I.gif

MineOS is a GUI based operating system for the OpenComputers Minecraft mod. It has extensive customisation abilities as well as an app market to publish your creations among the OS community. For developers there is wonderful illustrated wiki with lots of code examples. List of main features:

• Multitasking
  • Double buffered graphical user interface
  • Language packs and software localization
  • Multiple user profiles with password authentication
  • Own EEPROM firmware with boot volume choose/format/rename features and Internet Recovery mode
  • File sharing over the local network via modems
  • Client connections to real FTP servers
  • An internal IDE with syntax highlighting and debugger
  • Integrated application and library App Market with the ability to publish your own scripts and programs for every MineOS user
  • Error reporting system with the possibility to send information to developers
  • Animations, wallpapers, screensavers, color schemes and huge customization possibilities
  • Open source system API and detailed documentation

How to install?

The easiest way is to use default OpenOS wget script. Insert an OpenOS floppy disk to computer, insert an Internet Card, turn computer on and type the following command to install MineOS. You can use middle mouse button or insert key to paste it from cliboard:

wget -f https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IgorTimofeev/MineOS/master/Installer/BIOS.lua /tmp/bios.lua && flash -q /tmp/bios.lua && reboot

System requirements:

• OpenOS installed on Tier 3 HDD
  • Internet Card
  • Tier 3 GPU
  • 2x Tier 3 RAM
  • Tier 3 CPU

Wiki:

https://github.com/IgorTimofeev/MineOS/wiki

Edited by EliteClubSessions
Updated installer link

Super nice, but:

* Scroll in license in installer is crashing

* You should really consider using some package manager like OPPM/MPT for that

* I have a strong feeling that this was ported from CC, structure of the files sort of doesn't fit OpenOS, have a look at this http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/linux_file_structure.jpg

* With package manager packages wouldn't create mess in root directory

* you REALLY, REALLY should use something like /home/[user]/Desktop/SomeApp.app, or at least /root/Desktop/some.app for app launchers, having all things inside the root (/) directory is not nice at all.

Other loose suggestion for you is that you could adapt plan9k kernel(pipes package on mpt), to get multitasking and more security due to sandboxing. Learning how to use it may be a bit hard, but if you'd have a go at it you can catch me on IRC. Your entrypoint would be /bin/init.lua and you wouldn't have to modify Full OS to plug your functionality into something above BIOS level

More on mpt: http://oc.cil.li/index.php?/topic/92-mpt-minecraft-packaging-toolbeta/

The whole system looks really nice. In case it'd stay on top of OpenOS, it only needs some work here-and-there, like translations of things, small bugfixes, and it would be even worth seeing it on loot disk.

And YAY, first(?) proper gui based shell/os in OC world.

Super nice, but:

* Scroll in license in installer is crashing

* You should really consider using some package manager like OPPM/MPT for that

* I have a strong feeling that this was ported from CC, structure of the files sort of doesn't fit OpenOS, have a look at this http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/linux_file_structure.jpg

* With package manager packages wouldn't create mess in root directory

* you REALLY, REALLY should use something like /home/[user]/Desktop/SomeApp.app, or at least /root/Desktop/some.app for app launchers, having all things inside the root (/) directory is not nice at all.

Other loose suggestion for you is that you could adapt plan9k kernel(pipes package on mpt), to get multitasking and more security due to sandboxing. Learning how to use it may be a bit hard, but if you'd have a go at it you can catch me on IRC. Your entrypoint would be /bin/init.lua and you wouldn't have to modify Full OS to plug your functionality into something above BIOS level

More on mpt: http://oc.cil.li/index.php?/topic/92-mpt-minecraft-packaging-toolbeta/

The whole system looks really nice. In case it'd stay on top of OpenOS, it only needs some work here-and-there, like translations of things, small bugfixes, and it would be even worth seeing it on loot disk.

And YAY, first(?) proper gui based shell/os in OC world.

Thanks for the tips, there is definitely a lot of things to ponder about.

The Terms and Conditions displayed in the installer state that your computer can be remotely locked by the OS developer. This is completely unacceptable for the majority of players. OS owners should not have that level of control over computers running their OS. Not only is it never going to help with anything, but the dev can now hold players' computers to ransom.

You haven't seen the part about slavery, did you?

For me it looks like a parody of real license agreements.

PS: Nice UI, but I wished that it was fully translated... I just formatted the disk because I don't understand Russian at all. xD

Do you already use a localization library? A well made one should make your live easier.

You haven't seen the part about slavery, did you?

For me it looks like a parody of real license agreements.

PS: Nice UI, but I wished that it was fully translated... I just formatted the disk because I don't understand Russian at all. xD

Do you already use a localization library? A well made one should make your live easier.

That's what I thought too XD. If you ever read Window's terms of service and stuff, you see they can access your computer, that's one of the things listed in Windows 10, that's why you can't use pirated software, they are like Norton Anti-virus, deep in your computer, looking at everything with access to everything.

Sir, my server computer isn't working with your operating system. It gives me bluescreen of errors saying "Unrecoverable Error boot/03_io.lua:6: bad argument #1 (string expected, got nil)" after the reboot option from the installation process finished.

This is my spec of my server:

Tier 3 Server,

Tier 3 CPU,

4 x Tier 3.5 RAM,

Tier 3 HDD,

Tier 3 Graphics Card,

Tier 3 Data Card,

Internet Card,

Network Card (Wired) and,

EEPROM (Lua BIOS).

I follow the installation process. I tried to switch into personal computer but same outcome, Removing Data Card, reducing RAM and still same error. The only cause is in the software or operating system lua commands. Hope you read and fix this problem in no time.

For now, their is no older versions of this. Please, if you have, send the link on me.. I am a big fan of this Operating System