• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Boombaklat2000

Question about raids

Question

Hello,

First of i'm very glad i found this gem of a mod yesterday.

It is really well designed and put together and i'm liking it a lot

So i've been playing around since yesterday with the possibilities of this mod.
Now i've been wanting to connect a bunch of servers to a bunch of raids acting as a databank

of sorts. According to the ingame description in NEI of the raid block: "Allows combining three hard-drives into one larger file system that can be used by all computers connecting to it."

The trouble i'm running into is that as soon as i connect multiple computers or, in this case, servers the components of the 2 networks are exposed to each other. This causes the screens and keyboards to get all jumbled up as soon as i reboot one of the computers. 

Is there a way to stop this form happening? am i doing something wrong or is the raid description a bit misleading and this the intended behavior?

2 answers to this question

All blocks in OpenComputers function as cables, not just the cables themselves. You can connect a RAID to multiple computers, just like any other component, but this also connects all components together. When OpenOS boots, it uses a random screen with a keyboard as the default and keeps that until it is shut down. When you restart the computer, it might choose a screen that is physically placed next to a different computer, but that is not something that the computer knows - it just takes the first one it gets. If you want to make a RAID accessible by multiple computers without sharing other components, you need to set up a dedicated server to provide network access to the RAID, and connect that to the other computers using switches, so that only network messages are passed through.