• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
MeltingBrain

VetaTech OS - Pre-Alpha

VetaTech OS [ABANDONED]

VETATECH OS IS NOW ABANDONED, I AM WORKING ON A NEW OPERATING SYSTEM.

The reason VetaTech OS was abandoned is due to it's unique core which was made really from scratch.

I am working on the quite same GUI-based os, but working under default OpenOS (like Windows 7 works under DOS).

After doing stresstests and trying to make it daily-use instead of OpenOS it became hard because of lack of features that OpenOS has by default.

Because of that, i'll work, as said above, under default OpenOS, meaning that OpenOS will be loaded first and then an graphical user interface management program will be loaded instead of default console to work with the default OpenOS environment.

Thanks and sorry for this.

post-1662-0-34262200-1427531121_thumb.png

post-1662-0-85300500-1427531122_thumb.png

post-1662-0-06517800-1427531124_thumb.png

Hard to say much without seeing the actual API and code, but it definitely sounds interesting.

How exactly do different scripts access and control the GUI? Does every script have access to all frames, or are frames bound to a script? Does the "process tree" have something to do with the GUI, or is that just another feature of the OS? Do all processes run simultaneously, and can they interact with each other in some way? (I'll stop throwing questions at you now :P)

Regarding import, does it do anything GUI-specific that require doesn't? Because if it's basically the same as require (load a module and make a table out of it) it would be better to not change the name, because require is a standard Lua function and not something specific to OpenOS.

Hard to say much without seeing the actual API and code, but it definitely sounds interesting.

How exactly do different scripts access and control the GUI? Does every script have access to all frames, or are frames bound to a script? Does the "process tree" have something to do with the GUI, or is that just another feature of the OS? Do all processes run simultaneously, and can they interact with each other in some way? (I'll stop throwing questions at you now :P)

Regarding import, does it do anything GUI-specific that require doesn't? Because if it's basically the same as require (load a module and make a table out of it) it would be better to not change the name, because require is a standard Lua function and not something specific to OpenOS.

The GUI Is the main "Brain" of the system in term of process tree, as it will launch custom functions everytime an action is done.

The GUI Is like "import" or "dofile" function, only one process called "VetaGUI" should be running, we do not need to import it, it's in the main core.

Basicly, here's an example:

local Button = gui.addButton()

Button.backgroundColor = 0x some hex code

Button.textColor = 0x again

Button.text = "Hello!"

Button.size = {x=10, y=1}

etc...

but for now, it only has: buttons, frames, text labels, loading bars and image objects.

I want at least add a text input, which is the most hard part of the gui, and of course maybe a sliding bar? context menu (when right clicking on anything, the GUI will, if present, launch a function in the given GUI that has been clicked. If no gui clicked, it will launch, again if present, a right click function for the desktop).

All the GUIs are colorable, except for the "X" close button in the frames, by default you can hide/show it (gui.addFrame(false/true -- show close button?))

I changed to import, because it is something easier for me to script.

It's just a function name, the OS will be even editable from the GUI so you can go, find the system files, and change whatever you want to.

I'll also add MAYBE a program that will, if internet card is present, find updates (it will of course ask before updating, so you don't loose any changes to your computer without even doing anything).

It will have basic programs, like window's notepad, a program to flash bioses in GUI etc...

also added something good  :)

os.execute(path)  :)

i know people will love it... (maybe kidding a bit, but this allows multi-process execution, that's why it's important).

This is gonna be awesome! I am looking forward to this. This is the kind of thing I've been looking for!

Would be nice if there was a Terminal window, you click on it, you can type in commands.

Dear friend...

There's already a terminal window, that you can drag/minimize/maximize/close and type in commands (like the cmd.exe in windows7, but a bit changed commands of course).

Mainly it will be click-to-run-.lua-files based, every .lua file can be ran or edited.

finally an OS with a graphical interface for open computer,I've been waiting this since a looooong time!
will this have a desktop and a taskbar? and maybee a right click contextual menu?
since that you seems to be inspired by windows,then I guess all these features will be in,but having a GUI is already a great thing

finally an OS with a graphical interface for open computer,I've been waiting this since a looooong time!

will this have a desktop and a taskbar? and maybee a right click contextual menu?

since that you seems to be inspired by windows,then I guess all these features will be in,but having a GUI is already a great thing

AS I said in the previous post and in the first one,

There is already a project for the contextual menu, and instead of a "taskbar" there will be a button with a frame showing all processes (scripts) currently running on the GUI. Clicking on a process will "focus" it to the front, and redraw everything.

You may not know it, but when dragging/making many things such as labels/frames (especially images), it slows down the drawing process, making a "flash" of all GUIs.

Wait this was abandoned because it was unique, say what?

Sadly that's how projects like these go sometimes - the original author loses interest, and the unfinished thing is not in a useful state yet. Happened to me as well. You don't want to know how many unfinished projects I have lying around.