• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
EEVV

Drones, Help! And custom gps

Question

So i want to make a drone, and I did make a basic program but since sangar said it's low level api you need to use different functions than normal.

I want to know how to do while true do on a drone, and also get gps position, but not with navigation because that's limited!

So please, if anyone can, then help me!

3 answers to this question

Drones are effectively mobile microcontrollers. That means it's much harder to debug them. How familiar are you with the Robot API?

Here is my advice make a robot. be sure to add a screen and keyboard to it. Treat it as a mobile computer. Get used to the robot api. 

From the title of your post I have a feeling you want to build a drone with an external local positioning system like the one direwolf20 made. ( I refuse to call them GPS because there is no globe in Minecraft. ) Good news, building a positioning system with open computers is far more simpler and has more functionality. I would use 4 wireless access points networked to a computer, that is responsible for calculating the requestors position and relaying that back. 

nmarshall23's solution:

+ Letting the central computer calculate the position makes sure the clients can be very simple - the code for calculating your position does not have to reside on the device itself. If you're running into eeprom size limits, this may be a viable solution.

- Requires the requestor to send a message with enough power to reach all the beacons. If correctly tuned, this is perfectly fine for small areas.

The opposite solution: (real gps-like)

Set up beacons that regularly send out "I am at XYZ", say once per second, with a lot of power to back their signal. Powering these could then take as much power as you have left over.

Even for huge areas, there will be practically no power demand on the batteries of the device getting its position.

( I refuse to call them GPS because there is no globe in Minecraft. )

The word "global" has aquired a second meaning "everywhere" (e.g. global variables) but I guess that is still not appropriate.
Perhaps you can find a better name in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_navigation#Hyperbolic_systems