• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
RadarUnder

Need help making robots harvest

Question

Hi, I've very new to opencomputers, I've recently started playing a modpack with includes this mod and I want to try to use the robots in this mod to harvest oreberry bushes from tinkers construct and put them in a barrel if possible. I have no idea how to do any of this, I'm willing to try to learn if someone can help me. I've read various posts, tutorial, and even the lua website but I'm having no luck understanding what to do. I know how to do basic commands with the robot like have it move and harvest the berries (use) but I'm not sure how to put this together so it can move around my oreberry farm harvest them all and deposit in a barrel. Hope someone can help.

1 answer to this question

This is very generic, not knowing how much you know and want to learn on your own. If not enough, ask more specific questions and I'll answer as best I can. I tried to write this to translate well into functions and basic commands.

start a file: gatherBerries.oc.lua make sure it starts with

local computer = require("computer")
local robot = require("robot")

to have access to needed commands.

Some notes on what it was intended for, who wrote it and when, are nice to have.

--[[

Tinker's Construct OreBerry Gatherer v0.3

for OpenComputers v1.47

Written by Me on 2015Feb14

Requires: Square room with barrels and (blah blah blah)

Robot/Drone Requires: (more blah blah)

so on and so forth

]]--

Since you didn't say how you have your berries set up, I'll generalize some more and guess a little. You have a square room filled with a layer of bushes, sorted or not, with enough head room for you to walk around. Some of it is probably empty or walkways. Little or no torchlight, so mobs might be an issue. Your doorway is in a corner with a Charger, five barrels, and a water block to the left of the door, same height as the bushes. Place the robot on top of the Charger and turn it towards the door.

+  --------------------

|   CBBBBBWbb    (Crude ascii mockup of corner)

|   bbbbbbbbbb

Break down to smaller steps: Pause and Recharge - Collection - Dropping Off - Repeat

Pause and Recharge

while (computer.energy() < (computer.maxEnergy() *0.95))
do
  os.sleep(1)  -- do nothing for one second
end

or just wait however many minutes while over the Charger (Make sure it is on and glowing, give it a redstone signal and some power). Got to give the bushes time to grow.

Collection

Move forward and turn left. This will put you at the door facing into the room. Move to the back wall and turn left.

Check what's below you.

If the block below you is liquid (our water next to the barrels), stop what you are doing here and move on to Dropping Off.

Otherwise try a grab a berry.

Move forward.

When you can't move forward and the block in front of you is solid (the wall), turn left or right as needed. Move forward, turn again and start over. If an entity, wait a few seconds and try again.

Dropping Off

For each slot, keep trying to dropDown a nugget into successive barrels until one returns true, then dump the rest of that stack. Start over with the next stack and first barrel until empty.

Repeat

Do it all over again.

Notes:

• Using half-slabs as walkways will help with mob spawning.
  • There are mod items that help with stopping mob spawning as well.
  • For the robot to end up over the water, the walls should be an even (16x16), not odd number. Do some testing to find out why.

Good luck! Be sure to put your finished code up on pastebin and give us a post about your experience.