• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
TwoThe

Is minimum RAM too low?

I was playing around with OpenComputers the other day and built a robot with the absolute minimum specs, so basically the lowest possible setup you can craft. And to my surprise it wasn't even able to run, because it crashed with an out of memory error either during boot or right after it.

I am not sure if this is an oversight or by design, as you could still put a very minimal self-made OS on a floppy to setup a computer for a very minor task. On the other hand, maybe the smallest RAM size should be upped to 256KB? I know I can just change it for myself in the config, but I am thinking about the default setup that most people will probably run.

And then I can't really think of a reason why I would ever build the 2-chip RAM modules instead of the 3-chip ones. For like one bar of iron and 3 redstone dusts I get a 50% RAM upgrade. I could understand if someone doesn't have the diamonds for the T3 modules, but then it still feels like wasting diamonds as you can't just upgrade them later.

aye, i tend to agree... although i do think it's by design so one can build, as you say, a custom purpose lite-OS

but this is why i set in my configs for the disassembler to always return all bits... in case i derp my assembly in that way...

i build robots IRL for a hobby, so if i can disassemble one without losing bits [unless i'm drunk :)]  , so should a machine :)

at least that way you can disassemble the robot, then the memory, then change it... 

I originally tried to keep OpenOS booting on the lowest tier RAM, but gave up eventually, precisely because this motivates writing custom "OSes" that run on less memory. :) Another reason to exist for the lower tiers is that they are used in crafting recipes ;)

As for recipe costs, the default recipes *are* kind of ... dumbed down, compared to the hardmode ones (where having some sort of auto-crafting system is really no longer optional). So some cost-differences might have shrunk too much... in hardmode you need to upgrade from one RAM tier to the next, for example. I'll add having another look at the same-tier-ram-recipes again onto my ToDo list.

Regarding the disassembler's lossiness, this isn't real life (yay for most cliche'd argument ever) and the lossiness is mainly intended as an incentive to prefer having multiple, specialized robots, instead of having a single one that gets remodeled over and over. The fact that you can accidentally get a bricked robot, that you have no choice but disassemble, is something I'm not 100% happy with, but I feel is a necessary evil, so to say.

"Sangar: Putting the Evil into Necessary"

i found the lossiness an incentive to turn it off ;) 

- tho i admit that's because i was initially learning OC in survival, which perhaps wasn't the best course of action on reflection, i made several robots which didn't even boot before i figured out what i was doing wrong, and by then i had no gold left. or spiders' eyes. 

I think the cost in the "dumbed down" version is already extremely high. I even play with the Thermal Expansion ore doubler (I don't like it but then I just cannot ignore it either ;) ), and still I run out of gold frequently and I haven't even built much so far.

Maybe I give that hardmode a try some day... maybe even add Terrafirma Craft and start from there... ;)

The one thing that concerns me on resources is the replay issue with OpenComputers. Should I ever finish my perfect mining program, then all I need to do on any server is to download and run it for unlimited resources. Which means I then basically played through the game. ;)

the same can be said for any procedure/process, in minecraft or anywhere...

i write music every week, but i don't ever write the same generic song just because the last one worked... the joy is in saying "nope, i'm going to do it differently this time"

i'll happily use a quarry to gain resources, but i'll always create a new and bizarre way of moving those resources back to my base, and processing and storing them... 

the quarry is my musical "four to the floor" bass drum... simple. gets the job done for a dance beat. but it's what you do with the melody on top that counts. 

... and like i'll never write the perfect song, i'll never write the perfect mining program, as there's always a different way of doing it  :)