• Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
kwatman

how to read input when making a custom os ?

Question

hello everyone, im trying to write my own custom operating system. so far everything is working, i can print things to the screen etc. I mostly learn how to do things by looking at the source code of of openOS. but one thing i cant figure out is how i can read user input. im currently writing a terminal but how do i read the keyboard and mouse input. i don't see the keyboard in the components section of the site and i don't understand the implementation in openOS. can someone help me with this ?

2 answers to this question

On 12/24/2021 at 9:53 PM, mattia said:

For read the user input you must use io.read().

Read the io guide Input and Output Facilities for more details.

I dont think the io library is avaliable when writing your own operating system based of https://ocdoc.cil.li/tutorial:custom_oses 

I suspect you will need to create your own implementation that looks at keyboard and mouse events using computer.pullSignal().

I'd recommend creating your own implementation of the event library before you really worry about user input. I havent really gotten far enough into the development of my own OS to really help you through experience here but thats my speculation at least