• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Adorable-Catgirl

Zorya BIOS and Bootloader

zorya-preview.png.34652282c21f673e2b43098c45c8457a.png

Zorya BIOS

Zorya BIOS is an extendable and configurable BIOS and bootloader, capable of booting any OS with the right extensions. It's similar to GRUB.

(sorry in advance for bios.lua)

All you need to install the BIOS is to flash bios.lua to a blank EEPROM, insert a blank floppy, then reboot. Note: This has only been tested on Tier 3 hardware and Lua 5.3. requires an Internet card.

Github repo

PRs are welcome!

Future plans:

• Ability to load from non-managed disks (like disks formatted with msdosfs, etc)
  • Make it easier to extend
  • Clean up code!
  • Ability to edit options from bootloader
  • Automatically load an OS after n seconds
2 minutes ago, AdorableCatgirl said:

Ah, I would, but I wanted to make the BIOS simple to extend (and patch).

Just make two copies, one bios.lua being the original one with a very clear and user-friendly code, and a second one compressed using this site.
That's how I could make a coloured user interface BIOS with of course ability to choose which file on what filesystem will be booted up, ability to flash bios from the bios menu itself and ability to get bios data into a file from the bios itself too, with the options to shutdown and reboot if necessary. Trust me, compressing the file will give you a lot more space for expansion.

1 minute ago, AdorableCatgirl said:

Ah, I see. I'll probably combine a few of the files together, yeah. I do want to still have it load modules from zorya-modules, just to make it simple to drop a loader in. :P I have some things to add and fix for Zorya 0.2 but I'll do that for the next release.

With clever resource usage you could fit a lot into this little jewel, and you could keep modules virtually in memory instead of writing them to files, or make a mode where this could be an option, so when the system would boot up you just set all modules to nil so lua's garbage collection will clear them from memory. This could attract more people as the idea of my bootloader downloading something into my filesystem is not what I personally would like, but if it could download custom modules automatically at every startup that'd be great of an option. Of course it would slow down the startup, but making your BIOS configurable can fit many people's taste (I would prefer slow bootups rather than files on my drive).

Also, (totally not self-advertising there) my kestrelOS will have a hibernation mode. Once I finish the manager, can you add support for fast bootups if a hibernation savefile is found on the system please? :)

Yea, no problem. I'll also probably add the option to make the zorya-modules and zorya-config folders part of the normal filesystem. Might change how Zorya stores options to specify if it should download the modules or load them from the github repo. But I'll have to test that on my PC since OCEmu locks up when I try to fetch things from HTTPS :P 

(Shoot me if this is a necropost)

Zorya has been updated! It now has a new, fancy installer that may still be visually buggy. It installs Zorya fine enough though. (And I plan to use it for my OS's installer.)

Zorya 1.0 adds a few new features:

• OEFI support
  • A new `zorya` library
  • General improvements over 0.1. It's a feature, trust me.

https://github.com/Adorable-Catgirl/Zorya-BIOS

(Again, shoot me)

Zorya v1.2.0

Zorya has been updated once again! What does it bring this time?

• Bugfixes
  • Knowledge that this should be some of the last 1.x releases, I swear. v2 is coming.
  • Cleaned up codebase some.
  • Now you can get virtual device drivers! (000_vdev)
  • Pointless addition to support patch versions.
On 8/23/2019 at 11:04 PM, Adorable-Catgirl said:

(Again, shoot me)

Zorya v1.2.0

Zorya has been updated once again! What does it bring this time?

• Bugfixes
  • Knowledge that this should be some of the last 1.x releases, I swear. v2 is coming.
  • Cleaned up codebase some.
  • Now you can get virtual device drivers! (000_vdev)
  • Pointless addition to support patch versions.

Can you technically even necro when it's your post and especially if it's project update?