• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
The Simon

Issues with Relay

Question

Hi!

I'm working on a "Main control station" to control my various Robots around the world without having to go there myself. I have been using a Linking Card to send signals to my Robot, but the plan is to use multiple and switch to the one you want to control. Right now I have it installed on my Server but want it in a Relay so I can expand the amount of Linking Cards, but I'm having a hard time getting it to work. I have no idea how to send stuff from it to the Robot. When I send from the Robot to the Server it just flashes indicating it has received a signal, but no signals are fired inside of the Server.

So some feedback would be greatly appreciated in order for this to work.

2 answers to this question

So I did some testing and I think what your approach is misunderstood. Once a Tunnel is placed into a Relay it cannot be addressed (as a component). It effectively becomes a part of the "physical" network layer. A better approach would be to place a Tunnel into a Relay on the "master" computer network (via some cable. the master has a modem inside). Your robot should have a wireless modem. And the third piece is a "Network extender".

A "Network extender" consists of a Power Distributor component connected via cable to two Relay components (these must not touch each other nor can both directly touch the Power Distributor. Creates 'cycles'. Cycles are bad). A Relay is denoted with either a "R^"(Tunnel) or  "R*" for (Modem).

Crap network diagram

C : Computer                ^   : [Tunnel]          network interface
R : Relay                   *   : [Wireless Modem]  network interface
P : Power distributor       -|+ : Wired cable connection

P
                         |
    C1---R1^        R2^--+--R3*  ("Network extender")

C2*

C1 is computer #1
C2 is computer #2 (your robot)
R[1-3] are Relay components

9 hours ago, Molinko said:

So I did some testing and I think what your approach is misunderstood. Once a Tunnel is placed into a Relay it cannot be addressed (as a component). It effectively becomes a part of the "physical" network layer. A better approach would be to place a Tunnel into a Relay on the "master" computer network (via some cable. the master has a modem inside). Your robot should have a wireless modem. And the third piece is a "Network extender".

A "Network extender" consists of a Power Distributor component connected via cable to two Relay components (these must not touch each other nor can both directly touch the Power Distributor. Creates 'cycles'. Cycles are bad). A Relay is denoted with either a "R^"(Tunnel) or  "R*" for (Modem).

Crap network diagram

C : Computer                ^   : [Tunnel]          network interface
R : Relay                   *   : [Wireless Modem]  network interface
P : Power distributor       -|+ : Wired cable connection

P
                         |
    C1---R1^        R2^--+--R3*  ("Network extender")

C2*

C1 is computer #1
C2 is computer #2 (your robot)
R[1-3] are Relay components

Ok, I got it setup after your diagram. Here is a picture of it from above:

154432956_NetworkExtendersetup.png.7a573947a54b369490fae3a8684d4ec5.png

Edit* I saw now the Extender needs the Relays to be connected, removed the two cables on the sides of the Power Distributor and placed one cable in the middle of the Relays.