• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal

Back in the day, I had started to look into 

and even attempted to develop

An advanced networking system for OC. I failed before, but I feel I now have the experience and knowledge to truly pull it off (thanks to working in the field). So, I would like to re-introduce the Unet Project!

The Unet framework is a full stack IP routing solution, featuring 64 bit IP address and subnet masks, VLANs, MAC (modem address) aware interfaces and the ability to be filtered by routers.

The key behind Unet is its abstraction layer, aggregating all communications media (Loopback, Wired Modems, Wireless Modems,  Tunnel Cards, etc) into an interface, completely independent of the media. This vastly simplifies the transmission process. 

These interfaces are then farther hidden behind the basic send command. When presented with an IP address, will automatically resolve which media to use and how in the following process.

1. If an interface with this address exists on the local system, the message is immediately looped back on behalf of the interface.
  2. If an interface resides on the same subnet as this address,  it will be used to transmit the message
  3. If a route entry is found in the local route table that points to the subnet in which this interface resides, the routing information will be used in transmission
  4. If a default route is found, it will be used
  5. If no route is found, a route not found message will be looped back.

In addition, an advanced series of router operating systems, both for microcontrollers (using side based transmission control) and full-fledged servers (using modem-side bindings and tunnel cards) Will allow massively scaled networks.

In addition to the Unet IP addresses, the headers will have space for auxiliary transport layer info. An int will be used for Source IP addresses, a second int will be used for Destination IP Addresses, and a third int will contain an 8-bit hop counter, and a 16-bit protocol flag showing what the packet is carrying. At this time there is no other data, and comments are more than welcome regarding what to do with the extra space

The project is still very early stage, as I work on it in my spare time at home, but should there be enough interest in this (Admittedly competing) system, I have however committed the code to Github and loaded the WiKi with information about the current designs. Anyone is welcome to discuss this with me! https://github.com/LetDevDev/unet