• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Wuerfel_21

Port list

I haven't found any list, and to avoid our programs battleing eachother with unrelated stuff, I make this list:

1-32: user programs

42: WsarE(Wuerfel_21)

53: reserved for dns(JoshTheEnder)

60: FTP (ShadowKatStudios)

61: FTP (ShadowKatStudios)

63: telnet (ShadowKatStudios)

65: SMTP (ShadowKatStudios)

101: reserved for (ShadowKatStudios)

109: POP(ShadowKatStudios)

110: POP(ShadowKatStudios)

125: SFTP(ShadowKatStudios)

9001: generally reserved, might give it away someday...

9261: SNL(Wuerfel_21)(sns stands for service name lookup)

If you want me to add your program or reserve some ports for you, just PM me.

If your program is in the list, you can add this text to the post or where you put your program(you dont must, but this will make clear its compatible with other network programs):

[W21 port list compilant]

How recent is your program that uses port 42?

On the 25 of March, I published a program that used port 42 for mesh networking and message forwarding. Therefore, one assumes I would have the right to use that port, not you. Though really...

None of us really have the right to write programs using ports below 1024 unless they use the relevant protocol. 1024 and above are allocated-on-request ports.

For example:

42: ARPA Host Name Server Protocol

9001: ETL Service Manager

Port 1-32 are commonly used protocols that have mostly been around for ages.

User ports should be 49152–65535, not 1-32. In fact, I may modify my programs to use different ports to comply with said standards.What we really need though is something that works like a socket, not like what it currently does.

Okay, I'm done. Bye :P

Failure to comply will result in a competing port list that complies with real-world standards.

Thats for real world ports, minecraft ports work different(a message contains just sender address, port and payload), and we have unpridictable addresses for computers, SUPER slow switches and veeery crappy wirless networks.

I would like to keep this a bit seperate, besides the fact that they will never communicate with "real programs", if someone wants to reimplement something, it could use a different port.

My program(you could say its a protocol, cause you may have to write your own server for what you want to do) isnt even finished, just have written the default server(which can run on just every compurer), client is next up.

1-32 are just there for small programs which don't need an own port.

Actually, your program should take a command line argument to set the port, like this: prgm --port=41324 and use that port. This resolves all conflicts for custom settings and interaction with other programs. 

And I do agree with SKS about the real world port thingy. If I want to make a ssh for OpenComputers, it would be natural for most people to use port 22, not some arbitrary other port because someones multiplayer game already uses that port. The same goes for ftp, telnet and a whole other rage of programs that fit into the same category. This makes it easier for people that use those protocols irl to use the protocols in OC. And we are going for a real world UNIX style anyway. 

If I want to make a ssh for OpenComputers, it would be natural for most people to use port 22, not some arbitrary other port because someones multiplayer game already uses that port.

Would be the exact right way, again, oc networks are so different from real ones and will never ever communicate with them (expect for internet cards for which applying real world rules would make sense), so using the same concepts as for real network dont makes any thing better, its just more complicated and unoriginal.

Edit: does anyone want creepers in reallife?

MERGE:

If I want to make a ssh for OpenComputers, it would be natural for most people to use port 22, not some arbitrary other port because someones multiplayer game already uses that port.

Would be the exact right way, again, oc networks are so different from real ones and will never ever communicate with them (expect for internet cards for which applying real world rules would make sense), so using the same concepts as for real network dont makes any thing better, its just more complicated and unoriginal.

Edit:this discussion should be moved to another thread, to not spam this one with this

Edit: does anyone want creepers in reallife?

I'm not saying the networks are the same, but only that it would make sense to reserve the port that is normally reserved for ssh would also be reserved for a ssh clone in OC, also since OpenOS is based on real life OSes and follows certain real life protocols and standards. So it is in the spirit of the rest of the mod.

And it doesn't make stuff complicated or unoriginal, it makes it so you can easily transport real life experience into the mod.

well, if you want to make a clone of some protocol, and its original port is free you can cliam the port, if not then a different number isnt really much of a difference, i dont want to hinder you recreating real stuff, you can reserve ports to your liking(not like reserving 1000 ports for one program or such), but people building special programs for OC should not get limited by real stuff

Am I the only one that doesn't see why you can't just have your programs handshake with the other computer and then communicate as you please, over whatever port you wish? Your programs should be able to ignore other transmissions over the network that aren't intended for your program, anyway.

Of course, but even with real TCP programs, you need to start talking on a port, then it can tell you which port to use.