• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Sukasa

DistFS - A spanned volume FS, when bigger isn't big enough

DistFS

I needed a larger storage capability in one computer to store long-term data captured on a multiplayer server.  Since I didn't want to just cheat and make it "outside" of the world, I decided that what I needed was an infinitely-expandable (although admittedly not scalable) storage medium.  RAIDs seemed like a perfect approach, but I didn't want to deal with trying to manage a ton of files.  My solution was to build a spanned file system that could manage my files for me across multiple RAIDs, synchronize folder structures, and induct new arrays into the spanned volume automatically.

The result is DistFS.  It comes with a simple installation wizard that can install and configure DistFS for you, and it set up to be easily deployed via a disk.  Just pop it in, let the wizard show up, and you're off to the races.

DistFS has the following features:

• Automatically manage RAID drive folder structures
  • Won't induct non-raid file systems into distfs (configurable)
  • Fully compatible with all standard command-line utilities (edit, df, cat, etc.)
  • Makes it all available on a single mount point, /distfs
  • Automatically starts at boot
  • Simple installation / configuration wizard
  • Ease of reconfiguration - just re-insert the install disk
  • Multi-master arrays are supported.  Just set a single computer as the array master, and configure the other computers not to be

DistFS Upcoming features:

• Gracefully handling removal of RAID volumes unexpectedly
  • Finer control over which file systems are spanned
  • Management utilities
  • A manual

DistFS does not, and will not:

• Support multiple spanned volumes on one computer
  • Play nice with removable disk drives (floppies, tapes, etc)
  • Support unmanaged drives
  • Allow files to span volumes - all individual files must fit within a single drive in the spanned volume (i.e. no 13MByte files)
  • Feed your ocelot

Currently, I don't have a simple "pastebin run xxxx" command for DistFS - I'll try to get one up shortly.

To view and download all DistFS files and/or suggest changes, visit the Github repository at https://github.com/sukasa/distfs .  I recommend downloading all of the files to a floppy disk; this provides the best user experience when setting up DistFS

DistFS has not been tested on a Lua 5.2 Architecture.  It may work, but was developed on 5.3

This is one of the more interesting projects I have seen around. I will be sure to give it a closer look when I return from my business trip! It is an interesting idea that could allow for much larger, more advanced programs to be developed and released. I would be very interested in the further development and possible community evolution of this project!

I can try to lend you a hand. However I'm not sure how much help I can be. Can you give me some information about your install environment and what arch you're trying to install the program with?

The install should be done on a floppy drive from the looks of things, as well as make sure you have all the files form the github installed.

5 hours ago, rougeminner said:

I can try to lend you a hand. However I'm not sure how much help I can be. Can you give me some information about your install environment and what arch you're trying to install the program with?

The install should be done on a floppy drive from the looks of things, as well as make sure you have all the files form the github installed.

Well:

As computer, I use T3 with maxed-out components, Lua 5.3, T3 monitor and raid.

As for installation, I just copied all files into 10min pastebin because I can pastebin but don't know how to github to OC computer, pastebined them to /home and tried to run autorun.lua

Hey.  So, I'm not entirely sure what the problem you're seeing is (I can't replicate it here), but I have since set up a somewhat easier way to get ahold of the program.

If you set up OPPM, and run 'oppm install gist', then run the command `gist ed3e276ad33184a97d45ae908926ba5c ksi.lua`, you'll download a utility program of mine.  Run the program, and it will guide you through setting up an autorun disk that can be used to install various programs (okay, only two at the moment..) onto your computers, even without an internet card.