• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Xfel

Editor for UTF-8 graphics

Question

Hi,

I'm currently trying to create a graphic UI for my fusion reactor control system. Now I want to use those additional UTF8 chars OC provides. However, those don't appear on my usual keyboard, so at the moment I copy the chars I need from the font.txt file. But this is a bit unnerving, so I'd like to know if there is a better editor that saves me work?

3 answers to this question

On the subject of UTF8 characters, I've been having trouble getting most of them to display.  

According to the wiki entry for the Unicode API: "Specifically all glyphs defined in code page 437 are supported."  However, I'm very unfamiliar with the distinction between unicode/ascii/utf8, and wasn't sure which of the listed Wikipedia codes I should be using.

Actually, I think a quick example-question might solve all my problems:

Question:  How would I print the "DD = U+258C : LEFT HALF BLOCK" character to the screen?  (And, if I can't, how do I know which characters I can use vs. which ones I can't?)

Assuming all of the appropriate libraries and components are properly loaded and configured, I figured "unicode.char(258C)" would do it, but that throws a "bad number" error.  It just occurs to me now (and I'll check this when I get home), but do I need to convert hexidecimal to decimal for it to work, e.g., "unicode.char(9612)"?  Or am I using the wrong codes entirely?

Thanks for your help!