• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
ahhhcrap

Really really weird Unicode support

Question

I have been trying to use unicode for quite a while now. While I can type some Chinese characters, others are simply missing. For example, I tried to type "中文字都打到嘅?". The first six characters are fine, but "嘅?" is untypable. Also, Hiragana and Katakana (Full-width and half-width) are all invisible. Some JÅyÅ Kanji are missing to (For example, 日本語 (Not one character appears when I type that, but when I use a Chinese input method to type 日本語 the æ—¥ was missing its middle stroke, æœ¬ was oddly fine, èªž is completely missing.

If someone can provide me with a list of supported Characters (I think it's just Code Page 437 but I was wrong, I was able to type Ä, Ä‘, ħ, Ä°, ı and all that stuff) I would be very grateful.

2 answers to this question

Technically, only Unicode that is U+0000 to U+FFFF is supported, and of course there are various gaps in that

You can open up font.hex, inside the jar or located here (it's a big file), and look for your character code before the colon to see if it's supported.

An alternative is to use the unicode api's char function, like unicode.char(0x2384), and if you get a question mark out then it's not supported.

Java's Unicode support is a little weird, its char and String types use UTF-16 code units, which means that any characters above U+FFFF are likely to be messed up. Although on the Lua side OC uses UTF-8 to store Unicode, the text still goes through Java/Scala a lot, so you may still have some issues with Unicode characters higher than U+FFFF.