• Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
TechnoCat

As a player (not server host) can I access local PC files?

Question

I just started with OpenComputers today and love it. I'm running into a roadblock, though. I'm a player on a server hosted by someone else, so I don't have direct access to the world/save files - and if I read correctly you have to have that access to be able to move files from your physical PC to the OpenComputers hard drive. Unless I am mistaken and there is a way I can do that without being the server host?

I am able to use wget, but the only host that has worked is raw.github, in which I downloaded the program of another user. Mediafire, Dropbox, and TinyUpload don't seem to have a direct download url that properly works - always downloads html and script text instead of the actual hosted file. 

I've actually never used github myself, but I assume I could upload my own file (in this case a .wav converted to a .dfpwm using LionRay.jar) and download it as raw the same as I did the .lua program. 

The underlying problem is that whenever I download my hosted (MediaFire, Dropbox, TinyUpload) .dfpwm file and try to play it in the Tape Drive (Computronics) its static and schreechy. No actual music plays. I can't tell if this is because:

1. The aforementioned hosting sites are improperly writing the file to the Cassette Tape just like it was improperly downloading the .lua file or

2. The .dfpwm file is bad. I've tried using different sample rates and converting the .wav to 8bit and 16bit, etc  

tl;dr:

Q: Can I use my local (real) PC files in OpenComputers hard drive when I am NOT the server host, just a player? Or is HTTP download (wget) the only way?

Thanks guys! I look forward to playing with this mod and learning some Lua. 

3 answers to this question

I have tried this too, using github and just hosting the file myself, I get screechy music from either source. It seems that #1 and #2 are both wrong from my testing, it seems to be something with "Signing" the file that prevents the screeching. I have looked all over for how to do this, I cannot figure this out.

I recommend HFS.exe ;)

(I'd post a link if I wasn't on a blasted phone)

It's easy to use (defaulted to noob mode) and even works on Linux. :)

(It's 2nd best to apache on Linux)

You literally just run and link files or folders to the virtual file system.

just copy the URL to the linked file and you're good to go ;)

I personally prefer linking a folder because it's easier to manage.

Hope that helps :)

The best part is you don't have to modify the OC config.