• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
XyFreak

Big Reactors Grid Control

Just now, Trucido said:

NIce!  Thanks for the quick responses.  How can we show some appreciation?  Do you have any donation pages setup?

I don't have a donation page for multiple reasons:

• I'm just a small programmer amongst many. Thus I would not receive many donations anyways.
  • I'd have to pay taxes on those donations and invest a lot of time into breaking my income down.
  • I'd have to ask my current employer for permission first.

If you want to support me, spread the word. I've made this program public so ppl can use it. It started off as a "small" thing I wrote for myself after all :P

HERE WE GO! A RELEASE!

Lets start with a quick changelog:

4.1 -> 4.2
 - Refactored a LOT of code
 - Implemented the Grid controller. This controller can manage passive reactors and turbines if you connect external energy storage to your computer.
 - Removed old turbine suspension logic. Use the grid controller instead!
 - Fixed a bug that caused the GUI not to update when new reactors/turbines were connected (finally)
 - Fixed a bug that would cause brgcctrl to crash when attempting to use the steamtarget function
 - The generated configuration file is now human readable again
 - More bugfixes

Upgrade Instructions

Just download and run the installer (again). If you still have it lying around, you can use the old version. The installer didn't change.
After you ran the installer, you may want to delete your configuration file ("/etc/br_control.cfg") to avoid config trouble (although I should've handled everything properly).

When upgrading from pre-4.2 you will notice that a new service is now available to you: The Grid Controller. Make sure to add this service to your autostart as you previously did with the reactor and turbine controller:
Make sure your "/etc/rc.cfg" contains something like this: 

enabled = { "brgc_reactor", "brgc_turbine", "brgc_grid" }

You can manually start the controller with either

rc brgc_grid start

or

brgcctrl service grid start

Of course

brgcctrl service all start

will also start it.

In order for your turbines to be controlled properly, you will now need to connect an energy storage block to your energy grid (well duh!) and your computer. Currently supported energy storage blocks are: EnderIO Capacitors and Draconic Evolution Energy Storage. I tried to also add support for Thermal Expansions energy storage, but they don't seem to be supported by OpenComputers yet ( or my version is utterly outdated ;) ) .

If you are using passive reactors as backup in your power grid, make sure they are set to "GRID"-Mode. If the Grid Controller is not running, reactors in "GRID"-Mode will behave as if set to "AUTO".

How the Grid Controller works

The grid controller will try to always keep your energy storage between 20% and 95% full. In order to do so it will always activate as many turbines/reactor as neccessary to generate a small surpluss (when coming from 20%) or loss (when coming from 95%) of energy. This means that if you have two turbines capable of outputting 28K RF/t and your current energy demand is 30K RF/t, the controller will only run one turbine until your energy storage falls below 20%. Afterwards the other turbine will be activated until your energy storage exceeds 95% of its max capacity and the cycle will repeat. If all turbines are running and your energy demand can still not be satisfied, passive reactors will be activated one after another and set to their sweet-spot.

If you want the controller to fully charge your energy storage, you can activate "Charge"-Mode in the "Grid"-Tab. The controller will then activate all turbines and all passive reactors, setting them to their sweet-spot. After your energy storage has been charged, "Charge"-Mode will be deactivated and normal operation will resume.

If the controller can not satisfy your energy demand by activating all turbines and running all passive reactors at their sweet-spot, the controller will attempt to hold the current energy storage charge by pushing your passive reactors past their sweet-spot. This will (of course) not happen when you're expiriencing short spikes (depending on the peak though). The controller will be more tolerant the more energy you have stored.

Want me to add support for more energy storage blocks? Tell me which blocks you want me to whitelist!

As always. If you find bugs, please report them. If you report them like... NOW I'll have them fixed by tomorrow evening ;)

-XyFreak

EDIT: Added "How the Grid Controller works" section.

So I am using the new program.  Can you please give me some information about the KICKOFF status of the turbines?  As you can see in the attached picture it seems to say that for all 3 of my 4 turbines.  Also does anyone have a screenshot layout of a working system ?  It would be a great reference so people make sure they meet the minimum requirements for success.

2017-05-13_17.37.08.png

Just as a test. I put a creative coolant port in the reactor (for unlmited steam).  As you can see from the screen below I am still getting the kickoff message on 3 of the 4 turbines.

Perhaps I need to complete reset my computer?  What are the aboslute best steps to do this in order to erase any config data and start a fresh computer run?

2017-05-13_18.05.06.png

1 minute ago, Trucido said:

Just as a test. I put a creative coolant port in the reactor (for unlmited steam).  As you can see from the screen below I am still getting the kickoff message on 3 of the 4 turbines.

Perhaps I need to complete reset my computer?  What are the aboslute best steps to do this in order to erase any config data and start a fresh computer run?

2017-05-13_18.05.06.png

Hmm.. KICKOFF with engaged coils seems...wrong.

Try this:

• brgcctrl service all stop
  • rm /etc/br_control.cfg
  • shut down your computer
  • break / reform your turbines
  • break / reform your reactor
  • start your computer

Ok.  Still using the creative coolant port on reactor...I did the above insstructions as you said.  Below is the current screen while all 4 turbines are calibrating.  Reactor is still red color indicator as shown  Not sure what normal is but looking for your advise.

2017-05-13_18.23.34.png

1 minute ago, Trucido said:

Ok.  Still using the creative coolant port on reactor...I did the above insstructions as you said.  Below is the current screen while all 4 turbines are calibrating.  Reactor is still red color indicator as shown  Not sure what normal is but looking for your advise.

2017-05-13_18.23.34.png

How hot does your reactor get?

1 minute ago, Derv said:

Hi im having an issue with this i turn it on and my reactor immediatly errors out 

Looks like not enough steam can escape the reactor in order for calibration to succeed. You need to be able to consume roughly 20% of the possible output.