• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
XyFreak

Big Reactors Grid Control

@XyFreak

16 hours ago, XyFreak said:

Big Reactors Grid Control Version 4.3.2 has been released!

Changelog:

- Removed dependency on OpenOS "threads" library. This means BRGC should world with OpenOS 1.6 again.
 - Implemented workaround for a bug with OpenComputers and Extreme Reactors when using Lua 5.3.
 - Fixed a bug that would sometimes flash an error message when done calibrating multiple reactors at once.

... Sorry it took me so long... erm.. I have no excuses for delaying this until now!

@Luke Brehm Can you try upgrading? I'm guessing you're running into a bug I implemented a workaround for (changelog #2). If that DOES work for you I suggest setting your CPU to Lua 5.2 mode regardless as BRGC will fall back to the old ER API if it detects issues with that. The new API is far more efficient tho... :/

I hope the removal of the "threads" library dependency makes some of you happy :P

Switching to LUA 5.2 worked. For anyone wondering you take the actual CPU out of the computer and shift+right click it while its in hand. 

@payonel

With OC on linux servers and using Lua5.3, calling setControlRodsLevels on any reactor will cause the function to return

nil, "something something luanj something" (I think it was luanj but i'm not 100% sure right now)

I was unable to reproduce this issue on windows but it does happen on pretty much any server running linux. Normally I'd say: "Yep, ER bug!" but since it looks like it's OS dependent I'm not 100% sure... now that I'm writing about it... it might be JRE dependent....

Anyways - the function in question takes an array/table with keys starting at 0 instead of 1. There is also getControlRodsLevels which returns a table you can pass to setControlRodsLevels. Doing so is the easiest way to trigger the issue on any reactor.

Hello not sure if this has been discussed yet. Im looking to get your program to auto start on its own every time my server restarts. i am new to all of this and have no idea how to do that. If someone could explain in detial to me or send me to a youtube tutorial that would be great, as i have not been able to find anything helpful in hours.

1 hour ago, XyFreak said:

With OC on linux servers and using Lua5.3, calling setControlRodsLevels on any reactor will cause the function to return

I think you are using this on the br_reactor, yes? I found the br code for that here: https://github.com/ZeroNoRyouki/BigReactors/blob/master/src/main/java/erogenousbeef/bigreactors/common/multiblock/tileentity/TileEntityReactorComputerPort.java

Strangely, there is no setControlRodsLevels method on that component. There is a setAllControlRodLevels. I searched the commit history on the component and there never was a setControlRodsLevels, nor a get*. I also checked the original BR code, same story there. So I"m confused what method this was calling. Searching the entire code base of ER also came up empty. Is @ZeroNoRyouki available to discuss this?

1 hour ago, XyFreak said:

the function in question takes an array/table with keys starting at 0 instead of 1. There is also getControlRodsLevels which returns a table you can pass to setControlRodsLevels. Doing so is the easiest way to trigger the issue on any reactor

I'd be happy to test this and review the related ER code, but as I stated above, I couldn't trace it.

Thanks

@Sindor Nex

I'm quoting from that page I linked you: "Don't forget to add brgc_reactor, brgc_turbine and brgc_grid to your /etc/rc.cfg if you want to start the controller at boot time:"

If that sounds like what you asked for:

9 minutes ago, Sindor Nex said:

Im looking to get your program to auto start on its own every time my server restarts

Then read more of that page: https://tenyx.de/brgc/index.html#setup

If that isn't what you're asking for, you'll need to explain yourself a bit more.

You need to read that whole page I linked. It literally tells you how to do that.

13 minutes ago, payonel said:

I'm quoting from that page I linked you: "Don't forget to add brgc_reactor, brgc_turbine and brgc_grid to your /etc/rc.cfg if you want to start the controller at boot time:"

That is what I said to you in my last post. Again, "if you want to start the controller at boot time"

"start at boot time" IS literally what you are asking for, for it to "autorun"

also, if you want more information about autorunning programs on OpenOS in general, read this: https://ocdoc.cil.li/tutorial:autorun_options

But that covers all of the options, and is not specific to this program nor the service that XyFreak made for it

in the more recent versions of OC (check out the dev builds for 1.7.10 and 1.10, I haven't merged up to 1.11 and 1.12 with all of these fixes as of this writing, but will "soon") it is safe/reliable to run gui programs from your .shrc

the gui program for brgc is `brgc_gui`, so this should be sufficient to run the gui at start up

echo brgc_gui >> /home/.shrc

though this will probably work just fine in the version you are running, try it out. update if you have issues

15 hours ago, payonel said:

in the more recent versions of OC (check out the dev builds for 1.7.10 and 1.10, I haven't merged up to 1.11 and 1.12 with all of these fixes as of this writing, but will "soon") it is safe/reliable to run gui programs from your .shrc

the gui program for brgc is `brgc_gui`, so this should be sufficient to run the gui at start up

echo brgc_gui >> /home/.shrc

though this will probably work just fine in the version you are running, try it out. update if you have issues

Thanks will give it a shot. 

@XyFreak So i notice that you have a extra button called grid on the passive reactor screen. Was just wondering what it does differently compared to the other options as it is not listed in the opening post.

@Sindor Nex

Grid mode means everything is coupled together using the grid controller. In order for that mode to work you need to connect your energy storage to the computer.

With everything hooked up the controller will attempt to make energy production as efficient as possible:

energy potential = max energy production possible by all connected generators

optimal energy potential = max energy production possible by all connected generators running at their efficiency peak

If your current energy consumption is less or equal than your optimal energy potential, then:

• storage < 20% -> Enable just enough components so that there is a net energy gain
  • storage >90% -> Disable just enough components so that there is a small energy loss

If your current energy consumption is larger than your optimal energy optential but less than your energy potential, then:

• Enable everything and put passive reactors in LOAD mode so that energy production = energy consumption

If your current energy consumption is larger than your energy potential, then:

• Everything at full blast!

The metric that decides what to do is based on a weighted running average on the current energy consumption. The weight itself is based on your energy storage fill level:

• Higher levels -> metric decreases slower, but increases faster
  • Lower levels -> metric decreases faster, but increases slower
  • 50% = equilibrium ;)

That way power spikes don't cause the controller to go haywire on high energy levels but keeps it responsive on lower levels to prevent blackouts.

The components that are turned on for the <= opt energy pot. is as follows:

• Any turbine has priority over a passive reactor
  • Passive reactors are sorted by their fuel efficiency and then turned on from most efficient -> least efficient

That about sums it up. Basically you WANT to use grid mode whenever possible. Its the smart way to use BRGC ;)

The logic that was responsible for controlling turbines before the grid controller is gone btw. Yes the grid controller requires you to hook up your energy storage, but it does a MUCH better job than the previous logic that relied on the turbines internal energy storage. You can still run turbines without it but they'll not cooperate. Independent mode on turbines will also remove the turbine from the grid controller.

Kinda. But what if you can't connect energy storage blocks? E.g. you don't have computronics installed? Or maybe you don't want to connect more cables? I don't see any reason to remove it.

Also the AUTO logic will take over for a particular component whenever that component actually fills with energy itself (aka you wired something wrong - your conduits are too weak). I that case the logic self throttles everything.

The only thing I COULD remove would be the button - but why prevent ppl from using stuff that has to be there anyways and can be used at any time?

Hi, I'm a new member and I only became one to be able to participate in this discussion.

I'm fairly new to the high-end tech of MC but I definately enjoy it.

I downloaded and installed this amazing code you've created XyFreak, thank you kindly for your great work and service!
However as I am no coder or genius by any degree, I'm having issues understanding what the computer is telling me.

When I'm asking it to list the attached machines it gives the reactor an adress but the turbine gets an error message in the likes of the image below.

I've read aloooot these past few days since I set it up but I can't come to a conclusion to what's causing this message, nor why my turbine settles on around 1500rpm when I have a power demand on over 20k/t.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am not much of a forum poster or discusser, it means I'm actually very, very interested in working this out. 
What has been created is amazing, I can't stop praising how cool and impressive this is to me and hence I'd love to get it working properly aswell. 

Thanks in advance and have a great day everyone!

Regards
Daggz

MCOC.png

Edit: I'm also having issues with calibration, it says no machine can uniquely be identified by 'turbine' or 'reactor' which I can understand, but their given adresses by the computer isn't valid either :/

Any attempt at helping a poor old noob out would be, as said, greatly appreciated!

@SpaceBeeGaming 

Thanks!! I had a chance to do this earlier today and it loaded as expected.  Also didn't seem to break anything that I noticed in my little test world.

@XyFreak

Thanks!! Sorry you've been under the weather. I'm sure I could revert if needed. That release is gonna make a lot of people happy.

Question: its says connect everything to the controller pc. connect via what cables adapters and power converters at the each reactor?

Thanks so much

I hope this isn't a dumb question. I am new to open computers and this reactor program. I saw it on Direwolf20's let's play and mimicked his setup for Extreme Reactors. I followed everything he did except for with my base I have a resonant energy cell that I've attached the adapter to. I've run the program and everything works fine until I reach a point after calibration where it says the turbine is suspended. That never happened in the DW20's video and I'm not well versed enough to diagnose the problem. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

The reactor is 9x9.

The turbine is 5x5x27 and has enderium for the coils.

1 hour ago, MrSmirkNMerc said:

I hope this isn't a dumb question. I am new to open computers and this reactor program. I saw it on Direwolf20's let's play and mimicked his setup for Extreme Reactors. I followed everything he did except for with my base I have a resonant energy cell that I've attached the adapter to. I've run the program and everything works fine until I reach a point after calibration where it says the turbine is suspended. That never happened in the DW20's video and I'm not well versed enough to diagnose the problem. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

I did the same and I figured the computer is clever enough to shut down the reactor and turbine as soon as the energy cell reaches 90% or so and kicks back on when reaching around 10%, this is to save fuel consumption and not have a constant flow of energy being pushed into a full energy storage. 
Very, very clever this thing. 
Wish I understood it better!

My solution, do like I and Dire did, build a Draconic Power Cell any tier you'd like but bear in mind Tier 1 is less than a resonant cell (45mil vs 50mil.) 

I built a Tier 7 and it's a MONSTER!

Hope this helps! :)

1 hour ago, Daggz said:

I did the same and I figured the computer is clever enough to shut down the reactor and turbine as soon as the energy cell reaches 90% or so and kicks back on when reaching around 10%, this is to save fuel consumption and not have a constant flow of energy being pushed into a full energy storage. 
Very, very clever this thing. 
Wish I understood it better!

My solution, do like I and Dire did, build a Draconic Power Cell any tier you'd like but bear in mind Tier 1 is less than a resonant cell (45mil vs 50mil.) 

I built a Tier 7 and it's a MONSTER!

Hope this helps! :)

OK I wanted to make sure. I drained my cell to under 50% and thought that it should've kicked in by then. I put the Holding IV enchant on the cell and it holds 150 mil. I was thinking about going into Draconic next. I also have Capacitor Bank of 50 mil, but I was reading that you need a mod that I don't have installed for the adapter to interact with the capacitor bank. Thanks for the info.