• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
XyFreak

Big Reactors Grid Control

On 30.1.2018 at 10:01 AM, hron84 said:

@XyFreak few questions:

- Can the controller put grid into charging state without turbines? It didn't work for me in previous version 

- In next version it would be great if fuel level could be checked on reactor tab...

- Do you plan to support multiple screens / servers?

->1 That should work just fine

->3 There is no plan for that. Multiple screens is never going to be implemented because I can't dispatch enough drawcalls per tick. Networking and server stuff is going to be realised in a different program. TBA ;)

But as I was told here you can insert double GPUs in server and you will get console on one screen and brgc_gui on the other one

BTW:

If I would go nuts and build let's say 100 turbines is there any way to connect them all to server? As PC cannot take that many components even with "Component Bus"

Edited by Tahak
btw
5 minutes ago, Tahak said:

But as I was told here you can insert double GPUs in server and you will get console on one screen and brgc_gui on the other one

BTW:

If I would go nuts and build let's say 100 turbines is there any way to connect them all to server? As PC cannot take that many components even with "Component Bus"

Getting a shell on another screen works. Running the GUI twice doesn't.

Nothing keeps you from using a server instead of a computer. You just can't connect multiples together.

I've been trying to get this to work for a few days now, and while I've made some progress, I haven't been able to get it to work.

Currently, I've got a small Extreme reactor (maxes out at 4.85 kiRF/t), in the Direwolf20 1.12 pack.  I've manually updated Extreme Reactors to 0.4.5.46, which is supposed to be the bug fixed version, and upgraded my OpenComputers to Tier 2 graphics, Tier 3 cpu, two tier 3.5 Memory sticks, a tier 3 Harddrive, and a 3x2 array of tier 3 screens.

Once i start the services, it marks the reactor as calibrating, and slowly moves up the power until it has the reactor at 100% power, and in the gui the red bar moves all the way to the right at max power.  But it never comes out of calibrating, and it never creates an /etc/br_config.cfg file.  I've looked at the log file in /tmp, and it only contains the line "/lib/core/full_filesystem.lua:90: attempt to index field 'parent' (a nil value)", however, that line was there before i even installed brgc.  I did update to the new version of brgc released today, but it hasn't changed the behavior any.

Any ideas where i'm going wrong, or what i can do to fix it?  Was hoping for something a little more than my usual routine of just setting the control rod insertion to be equal to the % of energy stored.

@zendarva It is really unlikely for the calibration to not be able to get finish once it passes 5% (maybe 10%), especially after the last update.

If I understood you correctly, the GUI still displays "CALIBRATING"?

If so, please try running "brgcctrl service reactor runOnce" a few times in quick succession and check whether it errors out or not.

If you installed OpenOS on the HDD and you updated OpenComputers along the road after that (you mentioned something about old log entries) please try reinstalling OpenOS

5 hours ago, noelmage said:

I'm having trouble getting my reactor to leave calibration mode. The reactor enters calibration mode and the control rods get inserted to 99% immediately, but then nothing ever finishes.

Is there a minimum size requirement for the active reactor maybe?

Hi @noelmage,

this shouldn't happen but when I changed the way calibration works I feared I might cause this....

Can you please give me a schematic of your reactor so I can figure out what's going on for myself? Thank you.

Big Reactors Grid Control Version 4.2.7 has been released!

Changelog:

- Fixed reactor calibration not completing.
 - Increased calibration accuracy.
 - Implemented workaround for situations where active reactors won't output enough steams from their hot fluid tank even though there should be plenty available.
 - Added graceful degradation to reactor performance if hot fluid tanks are overflowing.
 - Retweaked active reactor regulator.
 - Added fuel level display to the reactor info panel. The fuel level displayed is the REACTIVE fuel, which is fuel + waste / 100.

Thanks again for reporting the calibration bug so fast. It should be fixed for good now. If you still run into that bug you should rethink your reactor design... propably... but still report it ;)

I've also implemented the request from @hron84 (fuel level on reactor tab), but since the GUI is pulling the fuel information from the controller, which is using the fuel that is actually generating radiation, the fuel level is (fuel + waste / 100) instead of just (fuel). I hope that's fine with you.

I also noticed that my turbines were behaving funny and it seems like my reactors don't output enough steam as soon as their hot fluid tank falls below 50%. I dunno why that is. There's definitely steam in there and I'm not producing >50% of the reactors max capacity (which would otherwise explain this behavior). So for now the target isn't 50% but 75%, which, unfortunately, has some bad implications on the regulator itself. Mainly it'll have a lot less room to balance out the steam. I rebalanced that to compensate that but... I'm pretty sure you'll be able to break it. Also, because clipping is now much more likely, the reactor won't just shut down 100% once the hot fluid tank is full but instead will gradually put in the control rods, allowing for much smoother recovery. Unfortunately all of this also means that using the reactor for producing steam for non-turbines won't work as well as before anymore. But since that was never REALLY intended, I'm good with that.

@ZeroNoRyouki I have a small (?) feature request:

There should be blocks (tanks) you can put in your reactor wall that will increase the capacity of the hot fluid tank / coolant tank. As a side effect, this will also allow reactors to output more than 50 B/t steam if not capped by additional code though (I don't really care about the 50 B/t output (!) limit but killing that off might be a good idea regardless). For consistency the same should be done for passive reactors (flux capacitor addon) and for turbines (flux capacitor addon, steam/water tank addon). Especially for turbines this should come in handy, as turbines have a really tiny amount of flux storage for the massive amounts of energy they produce per tick. For balancing reasons you could make the tanks of active reactors no longer scale with the size of the reactor but instead force players to use those tanks instead.

Hi,

ive got a problem.

But first let me thank you for your work.

Seems like a great Programm.

Everytime my Turbines are reaching the desired RPM and the the coils are being engaged my server crashes.

Im Playing FTB Beyond 

On Minecraft 1.10.2

OpenComputer is 1.6.2.7

ExtremeReactors 0.4.5.30

For help i would be grateful.

btw English isnt my native language but i try my best.

crash-2018-02-04_21.59.20-server.txt

Hi @XyFreak

Thank you for your really quick help.

It happend again after updating

Extreamreactors to 0.4.5.46

i also updateted

zerocore to 0.1.1.1

and forge to 12.18.3.2511

Im not sure if it was at the same time as before cause i didnt looked to my computer.

:-) Such a lovely playingtoy and i cant play with it.

crash-2018-02-05_00.45.20-server.txt

Update: with Extreamreactors 0.4.5.45 (The slow Version) it "works".

Edited by traeck
2 hours ago, traeck said:

Hi @XyFreak

Thank you for your really quick help.

It happend again after updating

Extreamreactors to 0.4.5.46

i also updateted

zerocore to 0.1.1.1

and forge to 12.18.3.2511

Im not sure if it was at the same time as before cause i didnt looked to my computer.

:-) Such a lovely playingtoy and i cant play with it.

crash-2018-02-05_00.45.20-server.txt

You should try to report this Here since it is more likely mod problem and not BRGC problem ;)

EDIT: seems like you are not the first - #153

Edited by Tahak
Added issue number

Hey XyFreak, awesome idea for a program and I cannot wait to use it to its full potential. I am having a bit of a problem getting the brgc_gui to show up on my Tier 3 Screen. I currently have the program installed on a Tier 3 server, and have connected my one active-cooled reactor, plus 20 turbines. The reactor shows it is calibrating, and the turbines all say kickoff when I enter brgcctrl_list. When I attempt to launch the gui, I get the message in the attached picture. I'll have to admit that I am not at all experienced with OpenComputers, and even programming itself. 

Additional info you may or may not need: running the 1.7.10 Modpack off of the Technic Launcher. It has been about 20 minutes since I hooked up the reactors and turbines and the reactor is still producing 623 mB/t (reactor is capable of 50 B/t) and is still in calibrating mode, and the turbines are also unaffected and no longer outputting power to my capacitor bank. The other thing you should know is that I made an Ender IO Vibrant Capacitor Bank capable of outputting around 500 kRF/t into a Mekanism Induction Matrix (there is another program out there I'd like to use with my matrix), which is in turn supplying my test world factory (currently only an ME Network, 4 IC2 Mass Fabricators, 4 Replicators, a Scanner, and a handful of machines that require little energy).

I'd truly be grateful for any help you can offer. This seems like a huge step up from a ComputerCraft program I used to use (max 4 turbines and 1 reactor per setup), and I wish I will be able to utilize it in future builds.

Thanks,

Z-Man

EDIT: I apologize if you have solved this problem in a previous post, and ashamed to say I am too lazy to look through 18 pages of posts.

2018-02-07_13.14.49.png

Edited by Dr_JFZoidberg
Courtesy

@Dr_JFZoidberg

Thanks for reporting the issue. In order to figure out why the reactor is not finishing calibration (... thanks ... you guys just keep breaking it :P ) I need a reactor schematics so I can rebuild and reproduce the issue.

20 Turbines sounds like 40 B/t steam. While this does kinda work, I highly disencourage driving the reactor at 40 B/t steam because there's too little headroom for clipping. In fact I suggest not exceeding 20 B/t load per reactor. I have not tested that tho so you might be fine. Multiple steam producing reactors can be connected together no problem.

You want BRGC to be connected to your main power storage (the mekanism induction matrix I assume) or else it'll think you're using all of your power and it'll really floor your powergen in order to prevent energy starvation.

Can you also provide me with a screenshot of the components used in your server? I can't seem to reproduce the crash. Its obvious that it's GPU related but it just keeps working fine for me for some reason.

EDIT:

Nvm I can kinda guess what's going on with the gpu stuff. I'll fix that tomorrow. For now: sleep!

2 hours ago, Rhajos said:

Hey XyFreak, is there any way in your program to show the RF input and output of a draconic core? Or is there any other way to let me see this with OpenComputers?

Hi @Rhajos,

BRGC works with a draconic energy orb. However it'll only display the net energy balance of your energy storage. AFAIK there is no way to get seperate input / output rates for the draconic energy orb. That's something only the ender io capacitor banks and mekanism induction matrixes have.

I can say for certain, that the API for the draconic energy orb does expose that kind of information so there's no program that can do what you want. Sorry.

The draconic power orb has a getTransferPerTick, which gives either the input or the output per tick depending on which pylon the adapter is next to. Having two adapters (and a bit of user config for which is which) would allow for what @Rhajos wants. Optional of course. If there are more than one input / output pylon, you could get the transfer of each and display the values.