• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
XyFreak

Big Reactors Grid Control

Yw ;).

I just looked at the code and it should work with any number of successfully taken samples for active reactors. It looks like it's failing at 1% output already, which seems odd....

EDIT: Can you manually shut it down and wait untill it has cooled off and clear its steam tank before trying again?

I've got most of my base's power running off this program now. It's quite nice, and honestly the only reason I even use opencomputers.

Here's some pictures:

Primary Array:

2017-05-15_20.26.05.png

Secondary Array: (note: that turbine is a more compact design than the others, being exactly the maximum blades and using 32 ludicrite blocks)

2017-05-15_20.26.13.png

Power Bank: (29.9B RF, more than I could ever need, but it's nice to have a phat buffer)

2017-05-15_20.26.35.png

I just updated to the new version on our server today, but after a few seconds of calibration, the GUI screen got filled with error stack traces. The stack traces kept happening in the background when the GUI was closed too (after trying to find the Exit button behind the wall of text!)

Everything was working beautifully in the version previous - I updated to see if the Grid Controller could handle low energy demand better with the turbines (keeping the turbine off while the energy buffer is above a certain threshold).

EDIT: This running the Direwolf20 1.10 pack (v1.9.1).

Sorry about the shoddy image compression - the forum only allows 0.5MB uploads over all files.

2017-05-19_23.43.13.jpg

2017-05-19_23.44.12.jpg

2017-05-19_23.50.15.jpg

Edited by Didz
Pack version

@Didz I've just uploaded a hotfix that prevents this secondary error state from occuring. Can you run the installer again and post the error message if it happens again? Thanks.

EDIT: I've noticed you connected an Ender IO Capacitor. Unfortunately, I figured out that you need the mod "Computronics" for this to work, which is not included in any FTB back by default. You can either install it or use a very low-end draconic energy core. That one works out of the box.

A few more problems today with the updated version. I switched up now to the Tier 1 Draconic Energy Core for the Grid controller. Now I'm having a bit of trouble getting the turbine calibrated properly - it seems to set its RPM target too low, meaning I don't get the full RF/t potential from it (it seems to want to hover around ~1430 RPM instead of near ~1800 RPM where most RF/t is made).

I tried to recalibrate it, but the command line program doesn't seem too fond of turbines:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/orzh4xk41uj3x3g/2017-05-20_14.22.23.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5vnrn3o0ey4g47/2017-05-21_21.33.12.png?dl=0

I could set the config manually if that helps - I guess rpmMax is just the RPM that I want it to start engaging coils at. I don't know if outputRateMax is just informational or if the service relies on an accurate value to determine when to do certain things. (The one that's set is 9.7k RF/t whereas the real output of the turbine should be over ~20RF/t).

I also had this curious problem once when exiting the GUI program (the stack trace seems to be OpenOS itself though?): https://www.dropbox.com/s/nrn6txa3djjg340/2017-05-20_14.40.29.png?dl=0

Ok it looks like i forgot to change some things in brgcctrl after refactoring the turbine code... damn. I'm going to fix that tomorrow.

The 1430ish RPM seems odd. Just to make sure: are you able to transfer enough energy into the energy storage? Just check the turbines gui and see if it has any energy stored. If it does, there's your problem ;)

I've also run into the exit bug but I've not worked on fixing that - yet ;) libGUI is not OpenOS btw :P

Ok that's cool. When I did the calibration, the energy storage was already full, but I hadn't realised that was an issue - I thought it was just going to calibrate based on the turbine's generating RF/t. I've set the config manually with the RPM and max output and it seems to be going well now. I'm guessing the manual config could throw calculations off a bit if I had a grid of many turbines and the grid controller wanted to determine which turbines would be best to enable given their optimal outputs (and I wasn't precise in enough with the value), but I'm in a one-turbine scenario here so I hope that's fine.

The grid's Energy Demand seems to be equal to the turbine generation rate in some cases (after a Charge), but the Weighted value remains accurate. Should this be the case? The demand should be very low now because the storage has already reached 100% and is still being charged by residual turbine generation. I'd expect the turbine to be in Suspended state after a Charge is complete to save RPM and avoid wasted RF/t, but it looks like it keeps the coils enabled even though the demand is not as high as the value on the screen says it is. It seems to also activate the turbine again after a while, but the demand is definitely not needed!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljbjbsoa6061bn7/2017-05-21_22.00.57.png?dl=0

20 hours ago, Didz said:

The grid's Energy Demand seems to be equal to the turbine generation rate in some cases (after a Charge), but the Weighted value remains accurate. Should this be the case? The demand should be very low now because the storage has already reached 100% and is still being charged by residual turbine generation. I'd expect the turbine to be in Suspended state after a Charge is complete to save RPM and avoid wasted RF/t, but it looks like it keeps the coils enabled even though the demand is not as high as the value on the screen says it is. It seems to also activate the turbine again after a while, but the demand is definitely not needed!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljbjbsoa6061bn7/2017-05-21_22.00.57.png?dl=0

Uh....wait...I'm pretty...no I'm 100% sure I fixed this. I even wrote code to detect this exact issue and tested it a couple of times.

I'll have to dive deeper for that.

As for the wheigted value: This is essentially debug info for me. At 100% storage this value won't change anymore ;)

EDIT:

I knew it - with comment!

-- When we're producing more energy than required and the energy storage is
	-- full, the energy extraction rate will clip to the production rate. This
	-- will cause the controller to never shut down and produce as much energy
	-- as possible. As a workaround, we force the energy demand to be 0 if the
	-- energy storage is full. This will cause the controller to shut down
	-- energy production until the energy storage is not full anymore.
	if grid_controller.getEnergyStored() >= grid_controller.getMaxEnergyStored() - grid_controller.getEnergyProductionRate() then
		energyDemand = 0
		energyRate = 0
	end

Yes, I just came back to the server after leaving it overnight and it was at 100% and stuck in Decreasing Charge state but the turbine was still actively generating RF/t (the Demand value == the Generation value). The workaround at the moment is to turn off the turbine manually, wait for it to get to the threshold where it wants Increasing Charge, then enable the turbine again. It seems to work when I do that - it'll suspend the turbines at 95% storage and it'll go to Decreasing Charge with a correct Demand value.

I don't know how it got into the 100% state when I came back to the server - but that seems to be what triggers the problem.