• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
asie

ChenThread Image Format - High quality images on OpenComputers

I've spent a fair amount of time trying to get the maximum image quality out of OpenComputers. It all began with BTM15's quick need for a presentation tool, giving us 160x100 at 256 colors - not a huge accomplishment, but a start. BTM16 later brought us 320x100 with adaptive palettes - better, but still not quite there.

Recently, I have started working on it again, and thanks to a mini-competition between me and GreaseMonkey I managed to arrive at something rather high quality - the ChenThread Image Format, complete with its own CTIFConverter. It is 320x200, thanks to the new font's block-based nature of the Braille area of Unicode. (It also supports a 160x100 @ 16 color mode for OpenComputers' Tier 2 mode.)

The converter, source code and reference viewer is available here. Keep in mind that, as this is a reference viewer, it will not be as fast as it could be - it does no GPU call optimizations whatsoever beyond the simplest ones. I will try to release a better version later.

Here's an example of the quality you can get out of this:

bkSF.png

hLds.png

M31p.png

Ox0C.png

On 4/25/2017 at 4:08 AM, RandomRedMage said:

Was wondering if this was still being worked on? It's been a while since I last poked my head in, but would be great to have some apis to work with it beyond just the simple viewer to view images.

I'm not focusing on APIs myself - the viewers are provided as part of the source code distribution and I'd love if someone turned them into a proper API!

Anyhow, CTIF 0.2.0 is out! It improves the image rendering quality a bit (especially on "tier 2" - sadly, at the cost of performance) and makes usage of OpenComputers's higher resolutions (160*50 is only an area, not the actual maximum size).

I have two questions:

1. Where to enter the path for the image and, if necessary, the name of the image

2. What should I do when the program gives this error:

lib/to.lua:39: bad argument #1 (string expected, got nil):

stack traceback:

[C]: in function 'error'

machine: 77: in global 'checkArg'

/lib/shell.lua:77: in field 'resolve'

/lib/10. Lua:39: in field 'open'

/home/nhraz.lua:66: in glahal 'Inadimage'

/home/obraz.lua 224: in main chunk

(tail cells.)

[C]: in function 'xpcall'

machine:798: in global 'xpcall'