• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
EliteClubSessions

MineOS: powerful desktop environment for OpenOS

IqjceUk.gif

MineOS is half the operating system and half the graphical environment for OpenOS, which comes in OpenComputers mod by default. Oringinally it was developed in Russian, but it supports several languages. MineOS has following features:

• Multitasking
  • Windowed interface with double buffered graphics context
  • Animations, wallpapers, screensavers and color schemes
  • Language packs and software localization
  • User authorization by password and biometrics
  • Support for file sharing over the local network via modems
  • Support for client connection to real FTP servers
  • Error reporting system with the possibility to send information to developers
  • App Market with enormous amount of wonderful applications and possibility to publish your own programs for every MineOS user
  • An internal IDE with syntax highlighting and debugger
  • Open source system API and detailed illustrated documentations
  • Custom EEPROM firmware with the possibility to select/format the boot volume and Internet recovery
  • Almost complete compatibility with OpenOS software

How to install?

First, you need to install OpenOS from floppy disk to your HDD.  After that you'll be able to run MineOS installer via single command:

pastebin run 0nm5b1ju

System requirements:

• Internet Card
  • OpenOS installed on Tier 3 HDD
  • Tier 3 GPU
  • 2x Tier 3 RAM
  • Tier 3 CPU (not really matters, just speed up)

Troubleshooting:

Are there any problems, suggestions? I'll be glad to see you on the operating system repository:

https://github.com/IgorTimofeev/MineOS

Super nice, but:

* Scroll in license in installer is crashing

* You should really consider using some package manager like OPPM/MPT for that

* I have a strong feeling that this was ported from CC, structure of the files sort of doesn't fit OpenOS, have a look at this http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/linux_file_structure.jpg

* With package manager packages wouldn't create mess in root directory

* you REALLY, REALLY should use something like /home/[user]/Desktop/SomeApp.app, or at least /root/Desktop/some.app for app launchers, having all things inside the root (/) directory is not nice at all.

Other loose suggestion for you is that you could adapt plan9k kernel(pipes package on mpt), to get multitasking and more security due to sandboxing. Learning how to use it may be a bit hard, but if you'd have a go at it you can catch me on IRC. Your entrypoint would be /bin/init.lua and you wouldn't have to modify Full OS to plug your functionality into something above BIOS level

More on mpt: http://oc.cil.li/index.php?/topic/92-mpt-minecraft-packaging-toolbeta/

The whole system looks really nice. In case it'd stay on top of OpenOS, it only needs some work here-and-there, like translations of things, small bugfixes, and it would be even worth seeing it on loot disk.

And YAY, first(?) proper gui based shell/os in OC world.

Super nice, but:

* Scroll in license in installer is crashing

* You should really consider using some package manager like OPPM/MPT for that

* I have a strong feeling that this was ported from CC, structure of the files sort of doesn't fit OpenOS, have a look at this http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/linux_file_structure.jpg

* With package manager packages wouldn't create mess in root directory

* you REALLY, REALLY should use something like /home/[user]/Desktop/SomeApp.app, or at least /root/Desktop/some.app for app launchers, having all things inside the root (/) directory is not nice at all.

Other loose suggestion for you is that you could adapt plan9k kernel(pipes package on mpt), to get multitasking and more security due to sandboxing. Learning how to use it may be a bit hard, but if you'd have a go at it you can catch me on IRC. Your entrypoint would be /bin/init.lua and you wouldn't have to modify Full OS to plug your functionality into something above BIOS level

More on mpt: http://oc.cil.li/index.php?/topic/92-mpt-minecraft-packaging-toolbeta/

The whole system looks really nice. In case it'd stay on top of OpenOS, it only needs some work here-and-there, like translations of things, small bugfixes, and it would be even worth seeing it on loot disk.

And YAY, first(?) proper gui based shell/os in OC world.

Thanks for the tips, there is definitely a lot of things to ponder about.

This looks great! However, I noticed with English language installed, the Finder app is still in Russian.  Probably a couple more that I haven't found too, but I thought I'd post here and let you know.

I would like to say that I have installed like nessesiary, and I still have no GUI, on a totally unrelated topic, can it be installed on a server or is it strictly pcs...

The Terms and Conditions displayed in the installer state that your computer can be remotely locked by the OS developer. This is completely unacceptable for the majority of players. OS owners should not have that level of control over computers running their OS. Not only is it never going to help with anything, but the dev can now hold players' computers to ransom.

You haven't seen the part about slavery, did you?

For me it looks like a parody of real license agreements.

PS: Nice UI, but I wished that it was fully translated... I just formatted the disk because I don't understand Russian at all. xD

Do you already use a localization library? A well made one should make your live easier.

You haven't seen the part about slavery, did you?

For me it looks like a parody of real license agreements.

PS: Nice UI, but I wished that it was fully translated... I just formatted the disk because I don't understand Russian at all. xD

Do you already use a localization library? A well made one should make your live easier.

That's what I thought too XD. If you ever read Window's terms of service and stuff, you see they can access your computer, that's one of the things listed in Windows 10, that's why you can't use pirated software, they are like Norton Anti-virus, deep in your computer, looking at everything with access to everything.

Sir, my server computer isn't working with your operating system. It gives me bluescreen of errors saying "Unrecoverable Error boot/03_io.lua:6: bad argument #1 (string expected, got nil)" after the reboot option from the installation process finished.

This is my spec of my server:

Tier 3 Server,

Tier 3 CPU,

4 x Tier 3.5 RAM,

Tier 3 HDD,

Tier 3 Graphics Card,

Tier 3 Data Card,

Internet Card,

Network Card (Wired) and,

EEPROM (Lua BIOS).

I follow the installation process. I tried to switch into personal computer but same outcome, Removing Data Card, reducing RAM and still same error. The only cause is in the software or operating system lua commands. Hope you read and fix this problem in no time.

For now, their is no older versions of this. Please, if you have, send the link on me.. I am a big fan of this Operating System