• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
rjs232323

A way to make custom chassis for robots

This thought came to my mind and well I would like to share it since I think its really useful suggestion.  Here goes: by using 3d printer, you could enable the creation of custom shells for robot.  Imagine personalizing the robots by their duties.  A mining robot with the skin of cobblestone and farming robot would go with the appearance of tilled dirt or leaves for timber robot.  I dont know how hard to make this but it would enhance the use of 3d printer for robots (perhaps drone to, not sure.)

The assembler could have one more slot as shell/skin slot where you can insert 3d printed block there and it would assemble the robot with based on the shape of the 3d print blocks along with its parts.

This thought came to my mind and well I would like to share it since I think its really useful suggestion.  Here goes: by using 3d printer, you could enable the creation of custom shells for robot.  Imagine personalizing the robots by their duties.  A mining robot with the skin of cobblestone and farming robot would go with the appearance of tilled dirt or leaves for timber robot.  I dont know how hard to make this but it would enhance the use of 3d printer for robots (perhaps drone to, not sure.)

The assembler could have one more slot as shell/skin slot where you can insert 3d printed block there and it would assemble the robot with based on the shape of the 3d print blocks along with its parts.

I do belive this is a great idea! But what if the person making the robot decides to be "smart" and make a 1x1x1 Robot that is unrealistic? How will it render tools? How will it render parts that it has installed? Besides a couple flaws this idea would be great to add.

(With drones this might not be a good idea at all, because they are entities)

I do belive this is a great idea! But what if the person making the robot decides to be "smart" and make a 1x1x1 Robot that is unrealistic? How will it render tools? How will it render parts that it has installed? Besides a couple flaws this idea would be great to add.

(With drones this might not be a good idea at all, because they are entities)

You make good points there. That would totally take lot of coding to implement rendering for tools and parts too.  I'm not sure what would be wrong with 1x1x1 robot?  It probably would be hard to see but its name would still show up on top of it, no?

Hm, perhaps instead of making custom shell, the shell could be simply painted on top of it instead? Or maybe disable the rendering of tool and parts completely when using custom shell.