• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Muh_Skittles

3D Printing with Schematics

Ever since I saw that OC added a 3D printer, I've been having lots of fun playing around with it and coming up with some interesting applications. One thing I really saw the potential with when I first saw it was scaling down huge structures into a smaller size, packing in a load of more detail. So I figured that the best approach was to use the .schematic format to create printable .3dm files, as it already had a plethora of resources to print. Thus born this project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TrglOca_3Q

Specs:

-Scales down targeted .schematic by a factor of 8 (Highest power of two possible*)

-Uses a texture dictionary to map textures to the miniaturized voxels.

-Supports schematics of any size without trouble.

-Outputs nonempty .3dm files to print.

-Takes a while to assemble (woo so much fun!).

I wrote the converter in Python and would be happy to share the code once I get rid of the random hacks in it. Pretty fun project overall, I'll be using this a lot in the future to do some cool builds.

* - I tried doing x16 and sadly it was throwing errors due to the coordinates not being valid. You could probably bypass this restriction by tiling the 2^3 voxels somehow (I managed to do this with my .png to .3dm converter to get x16, but that required no air blocks).