• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Shuudoushi

Real life time (at least server time) in OC

Question

Description:

I've been racking my brain for the past few days trying my best to figure out a way of getting the real life time in OC.

function os.dateRL(format)
  if not fs.get("/").isReadonly() then
    local time = io.open("/tmp/.time", "w")
      time:write()
        time:close()
        os.sleep(0.01)
      return os.date(format, fs.lastModified("/tmp/.time") / 1002.7)
  else
    return os.date(format)
  end
end

That is the closest I've gotten thus far. The issue with this bit of code is that it thinks it's 3 days behind what it really is, and would require constant update to stay on target-ish...

There is no deadline on this, it's mostly a vanity project for the OS I've been working on, but it would still greatly increase the accuracy of the user logs of my login system, as right now I'm just using 'os.date("%F %X")'.

5 answers to this question

I think os.date might be calculating things incorrectly, as it's designed for the minecraft world, not the real world. You could use another implementation top get a better value. (Also, while not an ideal option, if you have an internet you could use a web api (I've done that with computer craft))

local fs = require("filesystem")

function os.dateRL(format)
  if not fs.get("/").isReadOnly() then
    local time = io.open("/tmp/.time", "w")
      time:write()
        time:close()
        os.sleep(0.01)
      return os.date(format, fs.lastModified("/tmp/.time") / 1002.7)
  else
    return os.date(format)
  end
end

It works.

Just require filesystem and "only" in isReadOnly starts with an uppercase letter

That code is a snippet from where the function lives, which is in /boot/02_os.lua, that's why filesystem wasn't required. And as I said in the OP, the outputted date is off a bit, not sure why... This code is mostly being tested on a server, of which I know the timezone in which the server is in and the local time of said server. Also, without that bit of math, the year gets spit out as 45000 something...

You might be able to convert this implementation to lua. Also, why are you checking if "/" is readonly rather than checking /tmp ?

It was faster to type out at the time, if I can get it working as the wiki has lead me to believe it should, it will just be looking to see if /tmp is read-only.