• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Roxox1

General Feedback

So, I've been using OC for a couple days now, and I absolutely love it. I'm going to just list out what I like, and what I don't like and add some suggestions at the end. I hope my feedback is somehow useful

Like -

1. Time = Progress, unlike other mods where Time = Resources = Progress. When played on a modpack, almost everything is insanely cheap resource wise, and therefore your knowledge of the mod and the time and effort directly correlate to your progress.

2. Flexibility. From what I've seen, OC can do a huge array of things for different mods. It fits in so nicely, and I rarely have any issues integrating OC into any of my builds.

3. Server friendly. It seems that OC is very very resource friendly (unlike CC), I can run very complicated programs and automation and not worry about causing any lag on the server I play on.

Dislike -

1. Documentation. OC Is an extremely complex mod, possibly the most complex I have ever seen, even more complex than the popular engineering mod 'rotarycraft'. But it has a serious lack of documentation and is put down by a serious learning curve. Most people I speak to say it simply isn't worth attempting to learn to use the mod because of it's steep learning curve. The documentation we do have (such as the wiki/youtube tutorials) don't do enough to demonstrate 'real-world' applications and don't go into enough depth nessecary to understand such a complex mod.

2. Power supply. OC simply has no inbuilt power system, and due to the lack of documentation it can be rather frustrating to manage power. I for one don't like to waste too much power on my OC builds, but it's very difficult to gauge exactly what I need for a particular build to run. I'd very much appreciate some notes on items, or notes on the analyser which show how much power my system is using, and how much excess power I'm providing. OC also lacks a 'power-cable', from what I've seen it doesn't have a copper cable/kenesis pipe that other tech mods such as IC2/BC offer. I'm currently using capacitors as cabling, which is awful.

Suggestions -

1. Chest adapter. I'd like to see some kind of block which functions like the robots inventory upgrade, that allows me to view the current inventory of a chest, for my 'ME-Alternative' OC build, I'm having to use a robot which contiously walks around checking the contents of my chests, which is highly inefficient.

2. Robot build warning. Please, let me know when I'm about to create a robot with no bootable medium :(.

3. Capacitor multiblock. I'd like to see capacitors turn into a multiblock when placed together, similiar to how screen's behave. I'd be find with them operating individually, It'd just be a nice graphical update.

If you got this far, well done :P. And thanks for the awesome mod :)

1. Documentation. OC Is an extremely complex mod, possibly the most complex I have ever seen, even more complex than the popular engineering mod 'rotarycraft'. But it has a serious lack of documentation and is put down by a serious learning curve. Most people I speak to say it simply isn't worth attempting to learn to use the mod because of it's steep learning curve. The documentation we do have (such as the wiki/youtube tutorials) don't do enough to demonstrate 'real-world' applications and don't go into enough depth nessecary to understand such a complex mod.

In more recent versions there is a built-in manual item, which is the main documentation for the mod (AFAICT). If you have NEI installed you can also look up documentation for items by checking their crafting usage - this will show a short description, a list of all component methods (if the item provides a component) and a button to open the corresponding manual page.

2. Power supply. OC simply has no inbuilt power system, and due to the lack of documentation it can be rather frustrating to manage power. I for one don't like to waste too much power on my OC builds, but it's very difficult to gauge exactly what I need for a particular build to run. I'd very much appreciate some notes on items, or notes on the analyser which show how much power my system is using, and how much excess power I'm providing. OC also lacks a 'power-cable', from what I've seen it doesn't have a copper cable/kenesis pipe that other tech mods such as IC2/BC offer. I'm currently using capacitors as cabling, which is awful.

While there is no built-in power system (in fact computers don't need power unless you have a mod installed that provides a power system) the normal cables can be used to transfer power. There is also the Power Distributor block that passes power through, but does not relay network messages or share components.

3. Capacitor multiblock. I'd like to see capacitors turn into a multiblock when placed together, similiar to how screen's behave. I'd be find with them operating individually, It'd just be a nice graphical update.

Capacitors don't really connect in any way, but they get an "adjacency bonus" to their capacity.

Suggestions -

1. Chest adapter. I'd like to see some kind of block which functions like the robots inventory upgrade, that allows me to view the current inventory of a chest, for my 'ME-Alternative' OC build, I'm having to use a robot which contiously walks around checking the contents of my chests, which is highly inefficient.

2. Robot build warning. Please, let me know when I'm about to create a robot with no bootable medium :(.

If you got this far, well done :P. And thanks for the awesome mod :)

1. For purely analytical purposes you can use the inventory controller in an adapter, as mentioned above (the disabled-by-default thing dglessus is probably referring to is the plain inventory driver).

2. If you're referring to contents of the disk, that's pretty much impossible, in particular when taking into account custom architectures.

3. As mentioned above, there's the adjacency bonus.Not really planning on making it render differently, because that's somewhat of a pain (if someone wants to make a pull request, though, feel free to ;))