• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
AliceTheGorgon

Any way to donate?

I'm not sure where the best place to put this was, so I hope it's not too out of place here.

Is there any way to donate, even if it's just towards server costs or something?

I've recently been reminded of how much I've gotten from the modding community (for all games really, not just Minecraft), and I realized that I've never really given anything back. I'd like to start fixing that if possible.

As far as I can tell, there isn't a way to donate to the OpenComputers devs. Which is a shame. I've poked around in OpenComputers' insides a lot recently, and I have to say... Most other mods are fun ideas held together by duct tape, but OpenComputers is professional-grade work. I'm not even sure I'd rate my own modding work that way.

(There is, however, at least one server out there that puts OpenComputers access behind a paywall. EULA violation aside, I'm not sure I like that...)

Thanks a lot, the thought alone honors me. I have recently toyed with the idea of creating a patreon account or something. But! I'll probably have a lot less time to work on the mod, starting in the near future, so having something where money comes in regularly feels kind of... awkward. And I really don't like paypal, heard too many stories of donation accounts getting frozen (I very much doubt the amounts here would even be a blip on their radar, but still, it's a matter of principle at this point). So for now, the answer is that there's no way to donate. I'll leave a note here should I change my mind and/or get around to creating a donation path. Thanks again!

(And thanks a lot for rating OC's code quality so highly, Solra Bizna! As usual, as an author, I feel there are a number of places where it's rather... suboptimal, but I'm glad the overall architecture gives a sound impression. ;))

This post took way too long to happen. Cursed distractions.

I have recently toyed with the idea of creating a patreon account or something. But! I'll probably have a lot less time to work on the mod, starting in the near future, so having something where money comes in regularly feels kind of... awkward.

It's less awkward if you think of it as thanks for work already done rather than payment for ongoing/future work. This doesn't apply to my own Patreon since I haven't yet released my mod in a usable state; but OpenComputers is already quite mature, and is being used and enjoyed by lots of people as we speak. A Patreon would be a great way for some of those people to give tangible thanks.

I"m a new patreon (looks like it's just two of us)

My donation is pathetically small ($1/month) - Sangar and those that help him deserve so much more.

When I start spending more time using OC, I should increase my patreon to match.

Truly great work, Sangar. Thank you so much. Not only is your mod work fantastic, you're kind to your fans, and you make your work open and easily configurable. Truly the perfect example of a great mod for the community.

Sincerely,

Payo