• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Starwolf

Sleepless Nights

Well, in short, I play on a survival server running the infitech2 modpack.  It's a gt-themed modpack, and everything's been "gregified", so opencomputers was chosen as the primary computer mod, very little minetweaker needed as it was already balanced.  

I'm a noob at programming, I haven't touched the stuff since I was a kid with a commodore 64 (with no drive) so was "peeking and poking" those little memory bits for hours on end.  Life took me in another direction however, and I've not had an opportunity to get my tootsies wet until now.  

I've had computercraft in modpacks before, but it always felt "cheaty", I play minecraft for the survival aspect, and a magical box that you toss some redstone dust into and makes a computer just seemed... wrong.  So again I missed an opportunity to learn Lua. 

Now, with infitech one of the more unique methods of getting around is usuing SGCraft Stargates.  As a complete noob to any computer mod in minecraft or to programming in general I've been fumbling about trying to program a "dialer" using the SGCraft opencomputers interface http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/greg.ewing/minecraft/mods/SGCraft/doc/ComputerCraft.html.  I decided to use this because stargate components (namely DHD) are insanely expensive in this modpack (like everything else).  After a full day of stumbling about learning both the very VERY basic tenants of Lua and OpenComputers, I was finially able to close the iris in a creative test world.  Yay. 

That being said, Awesome mod, CC never really interested me, this one does.  I noticed the blocks looked abit... under par though when compared to the awesome monitors displaying text, so after getting tired I started doing something else to take my mind of my failures at programming, and started making some 128x textures for Opencomputers with an early 80's theme (I based textures off of Xerox altos, Apple II, IBM 5150, commodore 64, all the things that this mod brings back memories of lol)

post-1818-0-09343400-1426886603_thumb.jpg

Fans/Lights are fully animated and functional, only got some of the main blocks retextured, again it was just a sleepless night, but I've got the theme down and I could continue for the rest of the mod if there's interest.

Thanks again guys for rekindling my interest at looking at lines of code.