• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Molinko

Microcontrollers and adjacent components

Are microcontrollers not supposed to have access to adjacent components?? I have been truing to get the motion sensor to work with the microcontroller teirs 1 and 2 and neither seem to be up to the job? Is this intended? And if so, WHY :'( ?

Also, if it is a matter of balance. Could we maybe think of adding access to adjacent components if the microcontroller  was built with a component bus? Similar to the old OC versions of computers or the current OC servers.

These are low-power, very simple computers. They cannot connect to external components - much like robots - and cannot even have a graphics card. They also cannot have a file system. Their programming must be provided exclusively by the EEPROM built into them! To make this a bit less of a pain, you can recraft them with an EEPROM to swap out the EEPROM installed in them - similar to maps with the Navigation Upgrade.

Unlike computer cases, microcontrollers will keep all their inventory when they are broken. Rather, they don't have any inventory at all. Right-clicking them just toggles whether they're powered or not. These are an answer to the request for tiny special purpose computers that you'll cram into a corner and forget about. So don't come asking for more slots or higher tier components in them. Use a full computer in those cases.

But I would also prefer if they could access components.

Microcontrollers are computers intended to do a single simple/dumb task cheaply. You'll rarely need more than a network and a redstone card, or little things like that. Accessing components that aren't made into cards needs at least a bit of complex programming, I think.

I also think that was explained somewhere.

(And allowing them to access external components is sort of like, removing one of the two only differences with full-featured computers ?)