• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
ingie

Holographic skins via TehSomeLuigi's libPNGImage

In case people were actively not looking at the original thread - i.e. saw it previously and had tuned out...

I've just released an application of it, which you can download from the old thread:

http://oc.cil.li/index.php?/topic/266-libpngimage-a-preliminary-library-for-decoding-encoding-png-images/#entry1045

basically allows you to display your own/ or anyone's skin in a hologram... 

if you try and get Notch's skin, it shows a picture of Bill Gates, weird that* ;)

* no it doesn't but it'd be funny if it did.

Not at the moment, no... partly because of the way i wanted to lay out the surfaces - with the "rounded" edges. this was really so that the intersections of surfaces didn't compete with each other - as the voxels on the edges would have to be in a quantum state to display both the side of the head, and the front, say.

the upshot of that is that the "3d model" is taller than the max height of the hologram projection [32]. even if i used a different method to "slide" the surfaces together closer, the "default" height of a steve is 32 pixels but that doesn't include the hat... so i'd still have to shrink some part of the model. 

my plan over the next day or so when i'm feeling up to it is make the surface definition more generic - less "3d steve" and more "3d object" - and at the same time add translation, rotation and scaling functions to allow you to "spin" and zoom the hologram...

the first stage of that should be changing the current surface map "tessellation" definitions to triangles from rectangles, as that'll give me more surface flexibility [ i.e. drawing a sphere with rectangles doesn't really work, cf. the well known game: Minecraft ;) ]  - however that's going to be a right pain in various parts of the nether-body, so i might just start with scaling and rotation.

once i've done that, then your requirement will be met :)  so - a few days, i hope